Chapter 24 - Punky Brewster

Once I arrive at work and unlock the door, Olive follows me in as I enter through the doors and turn on the lights. I greet her as she strides quickly to her desk.

I walk to my office, turn on my light, and check my calendar today. I have a full day with applicants lined up, and I have a list of jobs to fill. Business has been so good to me lately.

As the applicants come in, I work to match them up with available jobs. By the afternoon, I've filled five temporary positions, which is a fantastic day for me. I have an hour free at 1:15 pm today, so I text John Luke and let him know to bring Scarlett at that time for lunch. I close an hour every day during that time; otherwise, applicants show up without an appointment checking on available openings; it would be impossible to get a break if I didn't.

About that time, Olive leaves to head home for lunch, and I wait at her desk to watch out for them to pull in front of the building and pick me up.

I lock up as soon as John Luke pulls my car up and honks. When I walk out, he rolls down the window for Scarlett to reach out to me. I come up to her window, "Hi Momma!" she says, reaching her little hand out to mine.

"Hi, my baby," I say as I lean in and kiss her forehead. Then I climb in the passenger seat and close the door.

I look over at John Luke, and he leans in to kiss me. "Hey, Momma," he says.

I lace my fingers through his hair, "Hey, love."

I look back in the rearview mirror at Scarlett and notice she is wearing a multi-colored pajama top and her black and white polka dot tights. "Did you know Scarlett has pajamas on?"

He looks over at me as though he's a deer caught in the headlights. "Don't get mad, but I had no idea what to pick out for her to wear, so I let her pick out what she wanted."

I giggle as I look back and notice her ponytail is loose and lopsided. "She looks beautiful as ever!" I say reassuringly.

Scarlett smiles big and nods her head.

John Luke glances at me, "You aren't mad?"

"Lord, no! She's perfect! My little Punky Brewster. I love your style, baby," I giggle.

"See, Daddy told you Momma would love it." She chirps.

He chuckles, "You sure did, baby."

"Where are you taking us, babe?" I ask curiously.

"How about we get a burger?" He asks.

"Yay! French fries!" Scarlett belts out.

I look back at her, "Momma is starving. I'm gonna eat all of my fries, yours, and maybe even Daddy's!" I say jokingly.

She giggles, "No way, Momma!"

I wink back at her as we pull up in the parking lot of the burger joint. In a rush to get things together at the office, I didn't have time to pee, so I quickly run to the restroom while John Luke leads Scarlett up to the counter to orders for us.

When I come back and meet him back in line where I left him, a woman is bent down, speaking to my daughter. I gasp as I approach them when I figure out who the bitch is talking to my man... It's fucking Stella Vance!

Scarlett is hiding behind John Luke's legs while he chats with Stella. I can hear them talking about Wyatt as I approach them. Shit! I didn't want to have this conversation with him about Wyatt. She notices me and gasps as I walk up to stand next to them. John Luke glances at me, and his face drops when he notices the irritation all over my face. Back the fuck up, Stella!

I can't help but feel somewhat sorry for her; she appears very frail and thin. Sensing my frustration with her presence, she says her goodbyes then quickly walks away. John Luke looks back at me with a disapproving stare.