Number One Fan! Interview with BarryMathias

This interview is with the professional writer BarryMathias who has the first book of his Ancient Bloodlines Trilogy, The Power in the Dark, posted on Wattpad for us all to enjoy. The Power in the Dark has well over a million reads and is one of the most engrossing fantasy stories I've read this year.

The other two books are available from either Amazon at http://astore.amazon.com/wwwagiopublis-20/detail/1897435118 or in ebook format from Lulu at http://www.lulu.com/content/2467428.

Mr. Mathias was kind enough to take the time to answer a few of my questions and I hope you all enjoy this glimpse into the life of this wonderful writer.

Enjoy!

***********************

1.  What influence did growing up in the UK have on you and on your writing?

I was greatly influenced by the Welsh side of my family.  My Welsh friends and relatives have been the focus of many of my short stories. Welsh writers such as Dylan Thomas and the poet R. S. Thomas were very influential when I was young. I always loved the history of Britain: the architecture, the individuality of the villages and the huge change of accents one encounters in a relatively short journey across the country.

2.  You didn't publish any of your writing until after you retired from teaching English. Were you writing all along and just keeping it to yourself or did you take up writing once you had more time to yourself?

I did publish short stories and poetry in Britain, and wrote one act plays that were produced locally. I began to write novels after arriving in Canada in 1990, when I was teaching at Camosun College in Victoria. I have written short stories and poetry since about the age of twelve.

3.  Who was the biggest influence in your life and what did they teach you?

I think my Welsh Grandparents were the biggest influence. My short story: 'Observations from an Outside Toilet' conveys some of the humor and quixotic qualities of Welsh life. They taught me how to value and respect the richness and variety of simple living, the hypocrisy of many aspects of formal religion and the consequences and satisfactions of a sense of humor.

4.  Has your family been supportive of your new career?

My wife has always been a hundred percent behind my writing, and without her enthusiasm and expertise I doubt if the trilogy would ever have been completed. Both my daughters have been very encouraging; my younger daughter, Natasha Smith, is a professional artist who lives in the Winlaw, near Nelson B.C. and is responsible for the original art work on the covers of my books.

5.  You are an experienced director and writer of plays, but do you act in them as well? If so, what is your favorite role?

I have acted since my childhood. I particularly enjoy playing humorous character parts. My favorite role was playing Malvolio in an outside production of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.

6.  What is your favorite song?

I'm sure everyone has a host of favorite songs. If I had to choose one, it might be: 'It's Now or Never' by Elvis Presley.

7.  What inspired The Ancient Bloodlines Trilogy and how long did it take you to write them?

I began 'The Power in the Dark' in 1992, and it was originally published in 1997 by Clare Thorbes of Salal Press of Victoria. In 2008, Bruce Batchelor of Agio Publishing House republished 'The Power in the Dark' and the second novel: 'Shadow of the Swords'. In 2010 Agio published the third novel 'Keeper of the Grail'. The trilogy is known as 'The Ancient Bloodlines Trilogy'.