Number One Fan! Interview with CynthiaClampitt

This interview is with CynthiaClampitt. She's another professional writer who has posted excerpts from her outstanding book Waltzing Australia here on Wattpad. Her writing is so good that you will feel like you are right there in the outback while you're reading. She has also posted some of her poetry and I highly recommend it for those of you who enjoy reading poetry.

Cynthia also writes a blog, worldsfare.wordpress.com that has some amazing entries about food; its histoy, its story, and how to use ingredients in some amazing recipes.

She is also an editor and was kind enough to answer a few questions about that side of her career and there is some really good advice here for writers.

I hope you get as much out of this interview as I did.

Enjoy!

********************************

1. Where did you grow up and what were the best and worst things about the place in which you grew up?

I grew up in the suburbs north of Chicago. There were a lot of "best things." The area was lovely, with lots of trees. There were still open, undeveloped areas in which kids could build forts and climb trees. I could walk to the library, and we were only a few miles away from Lake Michigan. It was easy to take the train downtown, to enjoy the big stores, museums, art galleries, and ethnic restaurants. It was just a nice place to grow up. As for "worst things," the only bad things I remember are things that are fairly common among kids, such as bullies, snobs, or teachers who just don't understand you. I don't think anyone escapes those.

Of course, since my dad was an airline executive for many years, there was the added advantage of being near the busiest airport in the world-O'Hare International. I still consider that one of the "best things" of this area. (However, even before dad went with the airlines, we had explored the states nearby. My dad was a great one for taking every opportunity to explore and learn. I take after him.)

2. If I asked all your friends and family to describe you, what would I hear most often and why?

My mom has always said that the phrase that kind of defines me is, "You've gotta try this." Anything I find that I like, I want to share, so I'm always saying to friends and family members, "You've gotta try this. You've gotta taste this. You've gotta hear, smell, feel, see..." I think my enthusiasm can sometimes be wearing on others, but most of the time, people like trying new things, learning, sharing experiences. My brother and a couple of friends have recently told me that I'm the most faithful person they know, always there for others. Most people comment on my memory for facts (though I'm terrible with names). And depending on whether they're feeling kindly disposed toward me or not, most people would say either I'm a great storyteller or I talk too much.

3. As well as writing about your travels, you write about food and its history. What was your favorite food growing up and why, and what is your favorite food now?

Boy, that's a tough one. I like just about everything. If I had to pick favorites growing up, I'd say Chinese food, my mom's beef stroganoff, my dad's lamb shish kabob, and spaghetti. I also had a great fondness for creamed chipped beef. And Mexican food.

Today, I'd say almost anything beef (especially prime rib), Chinese food, and French food. Though that said, I'm pretty keen on Middle Eastern food and Mexican food. And peaches. And noodles from almost anywhere. And cheese.

I have been blessed with liking almost everything, which is wonderful if you're traveling. I've eaten glorious French food in Paris and also enjoyed roasted mutton and dumplings with nomad herders in Mongolia. There have been a few challenging dishes over the years (rotted shark in Iceland, for example), but food prepared with love and enthusiasm will almost always be enjoyed.