Number One Fan! Interview with DeathRage

This interview is with DeathRage, a very talented writer who gave us the Half-Light series which is a great read that I highly recommend for anyone who wants to get their sci-fi and fantasy fix all in one place.

If you're not already familiar with his work, you're missing out. Here is your chance to get to know the man behind the books a bit better. 

Enjoy!

***********************

1.       How long have you been a musician and what instruments do you play?

I've played for pretty much as long as I can remember. My Dad sat me down at his drum kit when I was three and apparently, I made one hell of a racket! Even though I don't currently own a kit, I still class the drums as my instrument.

I also play guitar, both acoustic and electric, and I'm classically trained in the art of the old six-string. There have been a couple of occasions where I've stepped up to the plate and played the bass, but that has only ever been to stand in for friends.

When I was at college I played in a great many bands, in fact the background picture on my profile, 'GirlsKickAss', was taken during a college gig at the Old Vic in Nottingham. The place has since changed hands and has a completely different name now, but back in the day it was a fantastic little venue.

Pretty much the only chance I get to play live now is at the odd open mic night. There is some footage on youtube of one of the more recent ones I played at the Red Lion in Sandiacre, Nottingham. I love to perform, even if I'm only playing to twenty people. The buzz is nigh unbeatable.

So, yes, in answer to the second part of your question I play drums, guitar, bass, keyboard, and I sing, too.

2.       What do you like to do in your spare time other than writing and music?

Well, working the hours that I work I don't get a massive amount of free time. I do enjoy a game of pool or darts when I get the chance, though, which is not nearly as often as I'd like! Other than that I'm an absolute film buff... my DVD collection is ridiculous. I was in Tesco's yesterday and picked up the first six Harry Potter films for £20, and upon viewing I realised that I'd never seen the first movie, which surprised me!

It's not only films but TV series, too. If it's science fiction based I probably have it! My favourites are, in no particular order; Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Alias, Firefly, No Heroics, Chuck, Dexter, Heroes, Sanctuary, and Primeval.

3.       How does living in a 'wee little village' affect you creatively?

I'm certain that it has some effect on my creativity; I mean how could it not? There's a small area of woodland that backs onto our garden, so every morning (or afternoon) when I awake, that's the view that I have. The view from the front of the house is the South Downs, an awe-inspiring sight in bad weather.

Most of my writing, though, I do at work. I'm a hotel night porter at the local golf resort, a job that comes with an insane amount of down-time. The view from the rear balcony of the hotel is even better than that from my home as I get a stunning panoramic view of a massive chunk of Sussex.

4.       Why did it take you so long to start writing?

I honestly don't know. I guess that I never had the time, or was never inspired. Looking back I wish that I had started much earlier, but better late than never, eh?

5.       What did you study when you were in school?

All of the basics; English Lit/Lang, Maths, Science, etc. When my GCSE's came around, my school wouldn't run a music course as there were only four or five of us who wanted to take it, so I went to college and completed the two year GCSE music course within a year, and ended up with 11 GCSE's.