[ 𝟗 ]

As time passed by, nightfall slowly approaches

As time passed by, nightfall slowly approaches. The sun sank lower in the sky, the light of day draining away, giving way to the velvety dark of night. Yujin went back to the daycare center, tired as ever and ready to get some sleep in.

She sat in the corner by herself, head leaning against the cool wall, the feeling of exhaustion taking over her as she quietly drifted off to sleep. When all of a sudden, a loud yelp of a woman rang through her ears, pulling the young girl back to reality.

Startled by the sudden noise, she fluttered her eyes open and blinked away the disorientation as she glanced up at the voice. The wife of the supermarket owner was laying on the floor, her hands on her forehead, looking like she was in pain. Standing beside her was her husband, Seokhyeon. He opened his mouth and screamed, "You didn't even notice that your own husband was gone. Bring the eggs, now!" raising his hands as if he was about to hit her.

The poor woman hastily got up on her feet and limped towards the supermarket. People in the daycare center all stood up and gathered around to see what was going on, most of them had a disapproving look on their face, upset with the man's cruel actions towards his wife.

"Stupid bitch... Jeez," Seokhyeon sneered at his wife furiously. Eyeing the scene in front of her, anger bubbled inside Yujin. How dare he treat his wife like that? How dare he lay his hands on her?

Unable to stay silent in unfair situations like this, Yujin walked up behind Seokhyeon and shoved him, hard. The old man faltered, almost stumbling on the ground by the girl's force, "What the--" he scowled, irritation lacing his words.

Yujin didn't back down. Instead, she stood in place and stared at the man expressionlessly. The man glared at the young girl, "Who the fuck are you?" raising his voice at her and lifting his hand once again, swinging it towards the young girl. His hand almost crashed into Yujin's face when Yujin suddenly grabbed onto it with force, stopping the man's attempt to hurt her.

"Doesn't matter who I am... but if you dare to lay your hands on your wife ever again, you will regret it, sir." she expressed calmly, seemingly unintimidated by Seokhyeon at all. He tried to break free from her grip but failed, irritation and embarrassment visible on his face. Yujin chuckled lightly at the pathetic man standing right in front of her before she flung off the man's arm, silently making fun of him while doing so.

Feeling humiliated by Yujin, Seokhyeon scoffed at the girl. "Fucking bitch," he muttered softly but loud enough for Yujin to hear, before he went inside the daycare center and sat on one of the chairs. After hearing his nasty insult, Yujin didn't really feel mad or angry as she paid no mind to his words. His opinions don't matter anyway.

Not being able to stand being in the same room as the "wife-beater", Yujin turned on her feet and left the daycare center, ignoring the calls of the other survivors. She aimlessly walked around, not a specific place in mind.

Looking around the apartment building, Yujin's mind was plagued by the reminiscent flashbacks of how life was like before all of this, when monsters were nothing but mythical creatures and the concept of apocalypse only existed in movies. Too indulged in her own thoughts, Yujin didn't even notice that she entered the security cameras room.