42

I knocked on Sagacity's door, and she invited me in. I hid the flowers and chocolates behind my back as I entered her room. "Hey," I smiled as I took in her beautiful sight.

She blushed, "Hey."

I walked over to her bed and sat beside her before asking, "How was your day, gorgeous?"

She smiled, "Pretty regular. How 'bout yours, handsome?"

"Pretty regular too," I answered. "I...um...I was wondering," I said as I removed the flowers and box of chocolates from behind my back, "if you'd like to go on a date with me."

She shyly smiled as blush filled her cheeks, but then her eyes flickered to a part of my cheek and grew cold. I frowned in response, but before I could even ask what the problem was, I received a hard slap across the face. That made two for the night.

"Seriously?!" Sagacity yelled in a whisper. I figured Aurora was already asleep.

"What?!" I yelled in a whisper.

She took a deep breath before replying, "How dare you ask me out after visiting whatever women you were with before coming here?"

"What are you talking about?" I frowned.

"I'm not stupid, Damien!" she replied. "There's lipstick on your cheek!"

Fuck. When my mom kissed my cheek, part of her lipstick must've smudged my cheek.

"I-"

"Just go," she shook her head as she crossed her arms.

"City-" I got out before she cut me off again.

She shook her head as tears welled up in her eyes, "No, Damien. I don't want to hear it! You promised you weren't cheating on me! How could you do that to me? Why would you lie?"

I shook my head, "I didn't lie, Sagacity. I swear, I'd never cheat on you!"

"Then how do you explain the lipstick?" she cried, and my heart broke at the sight of her being so broken down. There was no way I was going to let her believe that lie. That would've been it for me and her if I let her believe that lie, but I couldn't think of another to keep my mom's secret hidden.

"I...I..."

"Get out," she said coldly. "Pack your shit too. Tomorrow we'll arrange days and times when you can see Aurora, but I don't want you here tonight...or ever again."

"Sagacity, plea-"

"No, Damien," she shook her head. "I've had enough of this. For months, fucking months, you've been sneaking off, keeping secrets with me, plotting against my dad, and destroying our relationship, and I let it all slide. I let it all slide because I trusted you. I trusted that whatever you were keeping from me was all for a good reason. I trusted that you wouldn't do anything to hurt me even further than you already had when you slept with Ashley! And still! You're so fucking selfish, and I want nothing to do with you!"

Not knowing what else to say, I sighed, "My mother."

"Nope. You don't get to blame you wanting to sleep with other women on your mother's death, Damien," she shook her head.

I shook my head, "She's not dead."

"W-what?" Sagacity frowned. "We...we buried her together!"

I nodded, "I was fooled by that too. She had somebody who had already been dead get face surgery to make us believe that she died. She's alive, and she's who I've been sneaking off to."

"...Impossible," she shook her head.

I shook mine saying, "I'm telling the truth. Whoever killed my father is still after us, especially after her. I promised I wouldn't tell anyone that she was alive. The nights when we meet up in a discrete location are the nights I come home late. Those are the nights when I check up on her. I wish I could've told you sooner, but she didn't want anyone else knowing."

"But we could've taken care of her. My dad would've offered her protection. She's Rico sister! He wouldn't deny her protection," Sagacity said.

I nodded, "I know, but she still insisted. She said that it was safer that way, especially because I escaped my kidnappers and they haven't found me yet. She was worried that with the both of us in one place, we'd be an easier target."

"Well, I have to see her for myself," Sagacity said as she wiped her tears with the back of her hand. "I'm not taking 'no' for an answer."

I sighed while nodding, "Okay. I'll bring you and Aurora to visit her first thing tomorrow."

"Okay," she nodded.

"Do...I still have to get my shit packed?" I asked, nervous that she'd still want me gone for keeping such a big secret from her.

"Let's talk about that after I see your not-dead mom in person," she said. "Until then, out my room."

I teased, "Can I get a kiss goodnight?"

"Fuck off," she replied grumpily. "Leave the flowers and chocolates."

I chuckled and placed the items on the bed before leaning over to smooch her forehead, but she pushed me away before throwing the covers over her head.

"Alright, alright," I sighed. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight," she replied before sliding the flowers and chocolates under the covers with her. I hit the lights in her room on my way out and then checked on Aurora, who was fast asleep.

I then went to my room and sat at the edge of my bed as I thought about what this meant for the mission. Mother was going to be pissed!

A/N: Here goes that turn I talked about 😊 Will Damien actually reveal his mother to Sagacity or will he risk losing Sagacity for good?