46

Damien's POV
I smiled as Uncle Rico dapped me up. He'd always check up on me through texts and calls, but I hadn't seen him in person since the Christmas dinner. It was good to finally see him face-to-face again.

"How's everything, little man?" Uncle Rico smiled as he led me inside his house.

I answered, "It's been a lot ever since 'little man' grew up."

Uncle Rico and I chuckled as we sat across from each other on one of his couches. "Carter told me that you both made up. I was really glad to hear that. What's troubling you now?"

"Thanks, and I've just been thinking about my dad a lot. Don't get me wrong, I love you, Uncle Rico. I can't thank you enough for taking me in and making sure I had the best opportunities. You're honestly like a dad to me, but I can't help thinking about my father's death," I answered.

Uncle Rico nodded, "And that's fine, Damien. I consider you a Cill, but you're also a Castle. I'm not mad at you for thinking about your father. You shouldn't have to have gone through what you did. I'm just glad you found me when you did. I love you too, and consider you my son regardless."

I smiled and nodded before asking, "Is it cool if I ask about his death? Whoever kidnapped me is still out there. I wanna know if I can maybe connect my own dots."

"Sure," Uncle Rico nodded. "There was a gunshot wound straight to the head. Whoever tried to kill him wanted his death to be quick and straight to the point. The shot came from outside the house, and the bullet penetrated his head and the couch he was sitting on. It landed in the wall behind him. The fucked up thing about all of this is that he didn't die from a gunshot wound. He was poisoned beforehand and left to die in the couch. Carter and I knew that whoever shot him thought they had caught him in a weak state when they took the shot, not knowing that you farther was already dead by then. We figured the shot came from a gang member in opposition with your father. Carter was able to track the person down and kill him. Some dude named Marquees, don't know if you know him."

I nodded, "He lived on the other block and repped a different gang. What about the person who poisoned him?"

"No trace," Uncle Rico informed. "Through an extensive search, Carter and I found that there were hidden cameras inside your house. I'm guessing you didn't know about them at the time because you didn't ask us to check for them. We ran them but got nothing. Someone went in and deleted the tape from that night, leaving Carter and me with no clue of who the other attacker was. This is the only reason why we aren't able to find out who is after you. Whoever it is keeps on covering his or her tracks really well. The only part that doesn't add up is you getting tortured when kidnapped. We were surprise you were alive, judging the person's past moves. He or she would've killed you already. That leads to the question of why the person was hunting you and why they didn't kill you. We've still been working on your case, little man. We never gave up on it. We're just limited in information."

I nodded in understanding. I was confused about how my mother got information off the hidden cameras if the information was deleted. The only thing that made sense to me was that she deleted it, but why would she do that if she wanted the cops to find out who killed my dad? What wasn't she telling me?

Uncle Rico frowned, "I know that face. What you thinking bout?"

I shook my head, "Just trynna make sense of who's after me and why too. Thanks for letting me know what you know. If I think of anything helpful, I'll let you know."

"No problem," Uncle Rico nodded. "Stay safe, aight?"

"I will," I nodded before hugging him goodbye. "See you soon."

"Aight, take care," he nodded before escorting me outside.

Before entering my car, I wished, "You too."

I then got in and sent a text to my mother telling her that we needed to talk. I wouldn't be letting her interfere with the date I'd be having with Sagacity tonight, however. I planned on talking to my mom tomorrow instead. Tonight was going to be all about Sagacity and me....and our future together.