No Doubt

Chapter 10

Wei Li Lian
Imperial Concubine Wei
The Blacksword Academy

"Li Lian!"

Lilian turned to where the voice was coming from. It was Kong Cheng.

"Good morning," she smiled sweetly.

"Someone is in a good mood," he observed "and you look beautiful too."

"Do I?" she blushed.

She made a point to look her best for Yuwen Hong. Her hair was neatly tied with the few pins she owned and her clothes as feminine, although it was not the best material of the palace, it was an outstanding design she could not wait to show off to him.

A point to Yu’er, something unexpected actually, he never complained about her appearance at all. If he commented on it, it would be something nice. Not the opposite.

When Dao came, she had taken her time to rebuke Li Lian about her loosened hair and loose clothing. While on the previous day, Yuwen Hong had said nothing about it.

Yuwen Hong was not complicated because if he did not like something, he didn't waste time in stating that fact.

“Kong Cheng, please drop the notion of asking the emperor about his routine, I told you―”

“I get it, I get it, and I know that you were lying. I am not dumb.”

“Please do not approach him with such things, he can be quite short tempered when he chooses to be.”

“I said I get it!”

“You must," she winked, "and if you are such a good boy, I may put a nice word for you.”

“Really? Is this about me becoming a palace guard?”

“Yes! Why not?”

“You are the best person I have ever met, your beautiful face is so striking that I could happily die just staring at you. You are―”

“Don’t overdo it,” she laughed.

“Li Lian.” Lance approached them out of nowhere. He looked at Kong Cheng as if he was a pest and Kong Cheng got the message. He then did not waste time in excusing himself as he was supposed to be nowhere else but the training grounds.

“You look spectacular,” Lance gave her a once over.

“Thank you.”

He frowned, observing her suddenly rigid posture. “No need to tense like that, I will not do anything to compromise your position.”

“Thank you.” She needed that, really, because Yuwen Hong was not an easy person to calm down. “Lance…”

“No need to say it, I know and understand.” He looked at the grey winter sky and huffed. “It is sad but yes, I will let you go.”

This day was turning to be the best of all of them. “Thank you.”

“Yoh, Li Lian, why do you keep saying that?”

“I am left speechless by your kindness and willingness," she said.

“Well, since we are separating, I have made you a parting gift.”

She should be sad to be parting with him, but she couldn’t feel it with all the excitement to be with Yuwen Hong. She should never have taken her and him like they were not important. Yuwen Hong came into her life at a time she was alone, and ever since that he was her family. The person who cared for her with no restraint.