Happiness

Chapter 21

Emperor Huizhong

Bai Shen Hong

Yuwen Hong

Yuwen Hong organized a day out of the palace with his beloved. He always wanted to take her to his private manor since the day they first met, but she would refuse him. However, now she was his. They could go there without her being difficult to get.

He just wanted to spend time with Li Lian. Show her that she was the empress of his heart.

No one else. Only her.

He instructed that there be no company, only his guards were allowed to come along, but they had to make their presence unseen. Guarding from afar was best.

For one day, he wanted to be a normal man with his lover. No one to tend to them or fuss, except their hearts towards each other.

"Master, mistress. All you have to do is write your heart's wishes on these paper leaves and we will have it on our small boats to swim away. That is how the heavens will grant your heart's desires."

"If it is the heavens who will grant our desires, why should we pay you?" Yuwen Hong was already suspicious of the man before him.

Li Lian had asked to pass by the wishing river on their way to the manor.

"Eh, the materials are mine," the middle-aged man observed Yuwen Hong and Li Lian's outfits, "so you will have to pay me two silver stones... eh... " He looked at them again, and noticing Li Lian's golden pins and his jade ring, he rectified, "Five silver stones."

"Impetuous! How dare you try to fool zhen―"

"No problem. We will pay." Li Lian took his hand and caressed it to stop him from his oncoming tirade and potentially exposing he was the emperor.

"Thank you, thank you." The cheat smiled and turned to collect the materials for them.

"Aiyah, Yu'er. Calm down. What is money to you when you own the empire?" Li Lian did not waste time in chastising him. "He is just a man trying to provide food for his family at the end of the day."

"I don't believe the heavens are using such an unrighteous man. This is foolishness, why must we do it?"

"Even the heavens are using you as their sun, the dragon of the empire. Clearly, they can use anyone."

That shut him up.

"You are the one who said we must spend time outside the palace and do whatever we please. I have read about lovers doing this in many books and I would like to do this with you. So please?" She gave him that delicate expression he could not resist. He was a loser when it came to her. Always.

"Only this once."

She giggled and pulled him towards the table set with the paper, ink, and brush. He did not know what he would write himself.

"Master, your clothing is quite refined. I like the design." A woman passing by could not help admiring him. She was about his age but appeared older.

"Really? Thank you." He cast a knowing glance at Li Lian. "My wife made it for me. That is why mine is similar to hers, though I think hers is more stylish."

Li Lian loved sowing in her spare time. Beautiful designs for his official robes, inner robes, socks, and so on. She did it all for him and wearing it made him feel like she was always present even in her absence.

Last time, he told the department to make matching outfits for them when he wanted to exit the palace incognito, this time she had wanted to return the favor, and sew what they were wearing. Yuwen Hong always thought what she made was better than what his servants could do. Hers was pure talent.

Li Lian smiled kindly to the lady and thanked her before they started writing their wishes. It was when the inked brush touched the paper that he knew the right words.

Li Lian to be happy, always.

Yuwen Hong knew his character. He could be difficult at times, obsessive, emotional, and misunderstanding. He was a difficult person at most. So if Li Lian decided she was tired of him, wanted to leave, and forsake their relationship for he was not able to make her happy anymore. He would foremost want one thing for her. Her happiness.

Li Lian rarely smiled. She seemed to fight so many demons, yet wanted to stay strong. That was her nurture; depicting strength. In life, he doubted she had shared enough smiles, laughed enough, and loved endlessly.

May she be always happy, even in the times, he shall fail to accomplish that duty because of his imperfections.

"What did you write?" Li Lian curiously asked.

"What did 'you' write?" He had no intentions to share with her what he wrote.

"Yuwen Hong and Li Lian to be together forever!" She held the paper for him to see her written words.

He couldn't help feeling a little emotional. She did want to be his forever. Even in his imperfections and lack of sense, she did want him.

"Now show me what you wrote too." Her eyes carried so much enthusiasm.

"Nothing." He waved for the owner of the place to come get their material.

"Yuwen Hong!" She started to whine like she always did to get her way with him. But his mind was made up.

~Author's Note

Will continue their day in the next chapter, Li Lian's POV.

S.V