Dimly Lit Embers

Chapter 52

Bai Yuwen Hong
Bai Shen Hong
Emperor Huizhong

"Luo Meng."

"His Majesty's servant is here."

"You have seen the dramatic events escalate over the past few days. What are your thoughts?" Yuwen Hong abruptly stopped in the Dragon Welcoming Room and looked over at Luo Meng, who followed him. Behind Luo Meng was also about six of the emperor's close attendants, including Eunuch Nam and Court Lady Nam.

"His Majesty is an ocean of infinite wisdom, thus this servant lacks the sagacity to give advice."

"No. Share anything that comes to mind."

Luo Meng's hands massaged his sword, a sign that he was unsure of what he was about to say. "Although a bird has not yet taken flight, when it does, it shall surpass heaven. Although it has not yet sung, when it does, it shall shake the angels."

Yuwen Hong digested the words and sadly smiled at the meaning. Luo Meng was advising him to bide his time in making his decisions because whatever was decided would have a catastrophic impact, be it on the emperor or the empire.

"Time is not something I have. Dimly lit embers can still start a fire." Each passing day produced discontent among the people.

"My apologies, Your Majesty." Luo Meng was solemn.

What a treasured friend.

"Nothing to be sorry for. You did not cause this." It was not Luo Meng who chose Li Lian for himself. He was the one who found her, chose her, and selected her. All of it was him.

A wise man never trusts in appearances. He chose to trust her appearance.

To catch the tiger's cub, one must enter the tiger's den. He was the one who entered the tiger's den, the Borderlands, a part of Huticah, when he found Li Lian. How come he thought he had found a swan in a tiger's den?

"If your servant could ask a question," Luo Meng brought him back from his abusive thoughts.

"Go on."

"In the past, His Majesty would incite fear and silence everyone. No one could do as much as whimper about a protest, or they would be seeking death for themselves." Luo Meng reminded Yuwen Hong of his old self. The unrestrained part of him. "A tiger does not take insults from sheep. This servant trusts this is not the case, probably His Majesty is displaying wisdom by his calmness, but on the naked eye, your servant feels His Majesty has become subdued."

It was true. The old him would have turned the palace upside down. Blood would have been shed and heads would have rolled.

"A great man is hard on himself. A small man is hard on others." Yuwen Hong crossed his hands on his back. "The more I mature, the more humbly I behave. The greater my power, the less I exercise it. The richer my wealth, the more I give away. Thus, I would like to avoid bitterness, spite, and misery." Though, whether that could be easily done was a different story.

At that moment, Luo Meng and all the close attendants that listened-in went on their knees. "His Majesty is benevolent. Nevoria has the son of Heaven, and thus, many glorious days are ahead!"

Yuwen Hong ushered a command for them to rise and led them to the exit.

Stepping outside, he was met by the figure of his mother who knelt before the descending stairs of his palace building. Since the previous night, she adamantly subjected herself to the punishment of holding herself hostage on the one spot she had chosen.