Assassin

I love how no one knows, even I, where the story is going!

Chapter 67

The Liege Lord
Nevoria

"The manor has two entrances and we thought it would be easier to go in acting as guests in need of their service, My Lord."

The Lord Liege squinted his eyes at the site below, the darkness of the night making it difficult to make out the specifics when it came to the structure of the manor. A litter of people swarmed in and out as if it was a marketplace with a reservoir of food instead of the poor abducted Furians.

The laughter and cheeriness of the people mingling out and about the building dug into the heart of the Liege Lord with bitterness. How could people find such glee and contentment from the pain and abuse of others? Furians were enslaved, separated from what they loved, enjoyed, and knew. What mattered to any Furian the most had been taken from them; freedom.

"I think the third hour of this coming morning will be the best time for us to invade and rescue our people. At such time shall many be drunk, and the people minimal in number."

"Yes, My Lord," the Drakko Second in Command heeded his words.

The Liege Lord was about to fly away when he held up.

"Next to the manor, I see a grand manor as well, more grand than the brothel manor itself."

"My Lord, I believe that would be the emperor's palace, here in the West."

"Does the emperor sometimes use it?"

"Not much. I heard he used it once when he passed by, on his way back from conquering the Western lands."

"Palaces are normally well guarded. Will its nearness to the brothel manor not affect our mission?"

The Second in Command's wings stretched, yawning. When a bird suspended in the air for quite a while, constantly fluffing the wings in small bits to not move or fall either, the wings got weary and needed interval yawning (spreading out).

"As far, we are aware that they have the princess, sister of the emperor, who has stopped for rest at the manor in the midst of her travels."

The Liege Lord's heart jolted a little. "The sister of the emperor?"

"She was captured by Lance during your 90-day cultivation season."

The Liege Lord was fully aware of who she was, but no one knew this except the queen. It was only him and her who had plotted Princess Yang Liu's death after all.

Bitter due to the abandonment of the Drakko by Gurio, the Liege Lord had sought revenge for his people. In his plot, he had used the emperor as the weapon. It was for a week that he disappeared and stayed in Nevoria Capital, stalking and following Prince Kuan Hui at that time. At the right moment, he had seized his opportunity and striked.

The aim had been to kill her, he never missed. However, his feelings would not let him. The princess had become his object of fascination. She had to live for him to see more of her.

The emperor, as planned, followed the false clues that led to Gurio as the assassin. Just as the Liege Lord and Queen Elora had planned.

Enraged and in want to protect the honor to his name, the emperor waged war against Gurio, and greatly did this bring fruit to Furia.

Many of Gurio sought refuge in Furia and naturally, the land that bordered Furia became theirs. With Gurio on its knees, plundering it for its resources and land, the excess that Emperor Huizhong did not care for, became easy.

"Then I assume if anything is to happen, their priority will be to maintain strong forces around the princess rather than help another in defense."

"Which perfectly works for us, My Lord."

The Liege Lord turned to fly on, leading the way. "I cultivated too much in recent days, maybe a drink to calm the power restless within me would be good."

They found a small hidden inn with half the serving room empty, perfect for them to not get much attention due to their foreign characteristics.

The Liege Lord poured his second cup of wine. "I am sending you," he took a large sip, "Go back to the camp and prepare our footmen for attack. We shall begin in a few hours."

The Second in Command hurried to stand. "As you have instructed, My Lord." He bowed and was on his way.

The Liege Lord smiled to himself, happy to be left alone with his dark intentions. Taking the last gulp, he stood and exited the inn. It would only take a few minutes before he would land on the roof of the palace, a fog surrounding him so that any forces of the emperor who looked up would not see him.

The palace was quiet, indicating that the princess and her retinue had about retired to sleep. His nose flared just as he picked on her scent, and as a dog precise in his detective pursuit, he followed it till he was in the shadows of her room.

No one looked like her. He had looked all over and only she had bewitched him. Many years had he lived and only now did he see the flower that had him entrapped as a bee. When he was visiting the queen, he had seen a painting with a beauty similar to her. His heart had fluttered at the similarity, and foolishly, he spilled compliments.

In truth, the compliments were for the butterfly now lying before his eyes. What he had said was what she made him feel from the day he lay his eyes on her.

Though the queen was not aware of this, that she looked all over Furia and found the woman in the painting, who had in the end turned out to be nothing exciting. He ended up not glimpsing at her twice.

Thump, thump, thump. The heart will beat for who it chooses.

The Liege Lord relaxed, content to be in a bedchamber filled with the scent of his object of desire. The last time had he struggled to walk away from her, would he be able to this time?

Slowly, he ambled toward her. She had and always been his. Just that she didn't know it yet.

Naturally, his heart galloped louder and louder. A man at the mercy of his appetites was no more than a brute animal. To that he would shamelessly plead guilty.

His muscles clenched to the point of pain as he stopped himself from lunging for her and doing what he had stopped himself from doing all this while since he first laid his eyes on her.

He did not care that she would hate him for taking what pleased him, but his own ability to master his animal passions did. Control is what helped him cultivate and contain the abyss fire.

Unexpectedly, Yang Liu's eyes blinked behind her closed eyelids. The reaction was immediate and uncontrollable, and she had no hope of hiding it from him. Not when he had the ability to see in the darkness like it was clear as day.

Her once-even breath caught, then resumed at an even more erratic rhythm as she tensed. That riled up the predator in him and his lip lifted.

Surely, he could not let her go now, could he?

S.V