Winter

Chapter 12

Elora
Wei Li Lian
The Blacksword Manor

Winter is cold, but when struck by the bitterness of life, it is all the more chilling and lonely.

Watching Yu'er walk away was the unbearable result of many miscalculated decisions. Didn't they say, "We get the fruit of our work, the good and the bad?"

"Yuwen Hong, wait!" she surprised him, his step faltering before regaining his pace.

"We are done," he snapped, his mind made up to not give her anymore chances. Really if she let him go, it was really over for them.

But was a life where she did not have the fussing of his affection, his worries towards her, his annoyance for her stubbornness and the eyes that always looked at her letting her know that she was the only one, and forever she would be one in possession of his heart, imaginable?

"We are not," her voice shook, "we are not because I agree to it."

Abruptly, he stopped.

"I agree to it all, kill the whole empire if you have to, I don't care, but please stay, and do not leave me." Be the only person who has consistently stayed with me. Do not give up the love you have for undeserving me because who in her life has seen worthiness in her to stick it all out?

He turned back to her, quite surprised. "You do?"

She nodded without hesitation.

Weirdly he seemed to chuckle this time around. "You really do?"

The situation at hand wasn't funny at all, but oh well, they were dealing with Yuwen Hong. What moved his boat was different to what moved others'.

"Y-y-yes."

He nodded too, more to himself than to her. "So in the end you will choose me." Yu'er rolled his lips, failing to hide the smile dressing his lips. "I did not realized you had come that far for me"

Her too. "I guess so?"

He couldn't help grinning a lot more as he reached for her and pulled her up. "Silly girl."

She frowned, confused by his joyful manner.

"Li Lian, do you not know my character still?" He searched her eyes.

Her eyebrows furrowed trying to take part in the game of catch up.

His fingers dug into her hair and massaged her scalp. Soothing her.
"If I wanted to kill that man, do you think he would be alive by this time?"

"What do you mean?"

He flicked her forehead. "I was just teasing you."

Of course. Of course, he would do that. Li Lian's eyes enlarged as she quickly swatted his stomach, and made him bowl over in pain. "Well, that wasn't funny."

He laughed, yet wincing in the process. "You aren't the one to decide that."

She pouted in response, running her petit fingers through her hair where his hand had been. She realized that he was also glaring at her hair before saying, "Does it bother you that my hair is not tied like it is supposed to be?"

"Your question is, does your breaking of the palace rules bother me?"

"No, I am saying, do you find me attractive with my hair this way," she snickered.

He bit his lips and grinned. "In all forms do I find you attractive."

Her cheeks gained a red tint as those words were said, and shyly muttered, "Do you?"