Baby

Chapter 24
Wei Li Lian
Princess Elora
Lady Wei

“Dao, you have to be strong and push hard.”

A sweaty Dao shook her head and cried in agony. “I really can’t. I feel like I will die and I am depleted of all strength.”

“The physician assistant says you are almost there. She can see the head,” Li Lian instructed.

Sobs is what Dao replied with. “Oh, it is so painful.”

“Just one more time. Come on.”

With that Dao harshly inhaled and pushed with all her might, and just like that, a cry engulfed the room.

A wave of relief took over Li Lian. Dao had done it.

The baby cried heartily and repetitiously to no end. “Is it a girl or boy?” Dao was worn out but the sound of her baby seemed to give her strength.

The Physician Assistant checked the baby. “It is a girl, My Lady.”

Dao laughed with tears submerging her cheeks. “Luo Meng wanted a girl. The heavens have granted his wish.”

Li Lian smiled as the physician assistant showed her the bundle of joy that was flushed pale. “Ten fingers, ten toes, Your Highness.”

Li Lian was glad that everything had gone through without a hitch. “Dao, you have done well. She is beautiful.”

The baby still squealed with her little mouth widely opened. Her head had some blood and liquid they were trying to wipe as she went on wailing.

“It is winter, and she must feel very cold. Cover her up.” Li Lian instructed the servants serving the birthing process.

Turning from them, she brushed the loose wet hair from Dao’s face and ran her fingers on her face gently. “Well done, Dao. You have done well. I will now go outside and announce the news to your husband and those waiting.”

Per culture, men were not allowed to witness the birth. Only women could go in.

Li Lian found them already celebrating for they had heard the cry of the little one.

“Your Highness, is it a girl?” Luo Meng was gleeful.

Li Lian grinned and nodded. “Congratulations.”

Surely, being married and becoming a father did something to a person. Who would have thought Luo Meng would dare to respect her and address her using the honorable title? Maybe it was also because she was an oncoming phoenix.

Now that she was in the midst of her training, people addressed her as Her Highness. She was no longer just any lady. She was seen as worthy and one of might. Being the woman who would sit on the emperor’s right hand was not just something that could be ignored.

At that time, the Grand Dowager arrived. She was weak recently and rested on her maids when walking. “I heard the news. I am pleased.”

“Thanks to Her Royal Highness,” Luo Meng kowtowed.

What Li Lian did not understand was why the Grand Dowager favored Luo Meng so much. Dao had been invited to the palace to give birth as if she was a woman of the emperor. Yes, it was understandable that it was probably because Luo Meng was favored by the emperor, but such acts of kindness, wouldn’t it be proper if they were done by Yuwen Hong and not her?

“Li Lian. Your face looks like snow. Are you all right?”

At those words, Li Lian started feeling dizzy and losing focus. “I think… I think…”