Chapter 13

The black lacework enveloping her skin stood out against the white of the bedsheets. A network of deep weaving lines. The lines seemed darker to Seth. Blacker, thicker, completely unmissable. There were moments where he had been able to forget. But not now. Now they marred her beauty, like a broken porcelain doll that had been glued back together.

Her long hair had been pulled back into braids by Rosalie. But baby hairs had escaped, forming a rose gold halo around her face. His sleeping angle.

It had been several days since she had collapsed in the forest. Seth had picked her up and rushed her back to Cullen's house. He had hoped that Carlisle would know what was wrong with her. That he could help her. Days later, the reason behind her collapse still eluded them, until Bella suggested that it may be the curse she had mentioned.

Every day since Seth had sat by Ella's beside. His optimistic hopes could not hide the growing green and grey parlour of her skin. And with a heart full of dread, Carlisle informed them each day about her worsening condition. To begin with, Seth denied that there was something seriously wrong with her. But as the long days and nights passed, Seth became worried about what would happen next. Ella was an unstoppable immortal vampire. Yet here she was lying lifeless in front of him. Sometimes in the quiet hours of the morning, he wondered if this would be her end. Would fate be so cruel as to rip his imprint away from him before he even truly knew her yet?

Two long weeks passed before she opened her eyes again.

Ella's body felt heavy and weak when she awoke. Her vision was blurry, yet she managed to make out the strong figure sitting in a chair at the end of her bed. The world became quiet and dark again as she slipped back into the stillness. The next morning Carlisle noted the returning colour of her cheeks and the subtle fading of her deep black veins. For Seth, it was a miracle.

Despite her improving conditions, Ella's eyes remain glued shut. But during the deepest hours of the night, she would open them and stare at the pure white ceiling of her bedroom. She was weak. She could not afford weakness so she hid her consciousness from the cold ones and the young shapeshifter that never left her side. And slowly, like the changing moon phases, her strength returned to her. The time would come to end this ruse but it had not passed yet.

Authors Note:

I'm back!! This was a short chapter but I wanted to finally publish something, its been too long.  In the previous part I mentioned that I was working on another story but that didn't happen so I've decided to give this one another go. Unfortunately The Originals have been taken off Netflix (in NZ where I live) and I can't really remember what happens as its been so long since I last saw it, but I'm going to try and keep this story moving. It may not quite work out the way I originally planned (I kina forgot what was going to happen) so I'm sorry if the story feels a bit disjointed going forward. But I was yet to even get close to the end of one of my projects yet so I am now determined to finish my most successful one. Just stick with me and I think I'll be able to work out a way to continue and finish this story that gives it justice. Thanks for reading!!!