Chapter Nine

The next morning Ella's joints ached. Today, she thought will be a bad day.

Her thoughts were only confirmed when Alice came bouncing into her room.

"Today we're going shopping. We've got to get ou your own clothes that fit", she squealed. Ella was happy to go shopping for clothes but she felt terrible today. Her stomach ached and she did not want to move. Only blood would help her, the fresher the better.

Ella knew that the Cullen's were shocked when they found out that she could eat food. Ella was sure that they didn't understand that she needs fresh blood every few days to maintain her life. She didn't think she would be able to sneak off to feed, but maybe if she convinced Alice while they were out she would be able to feed. Shopping would be her chance. She knew nothing about the world now. As soon as she got her bearings she would be gone. Maybe she would come back to visit but she needed to find a powerful witch, preferably a Bennett witch.

Ella sat up in bed to look at Alice. "Where will we go", she asked.

"Well we can't do must shopping here in Forks, its too small and you need a wardrobe. We're going to Seattle", replied Alice.

"A wardrobe", Ella raised an eyebrow. "Your kind doesn't possess compulsion, that's a few bodies to bury". Alice looked horrified.

"I'm joking, calm down. I know you all have a lot of money from Carlisle's fortune that he gained from working throughout the centuries", Ella laughed.

Alice stood there shocked. She was not used to this type of humour, not many vampires she knew joked about death. "Come on then", said Ella. She sped around the room and was dressed and ready in seconds. "We're going shopping aren't we"? Ella left the room and bounced down the stairs and to the garage where the Cullen's kept all their cars. Although it hurt to do so, Ella would not appear weak. The two got in Alice's canary yellow sports car and started their drive to Seattle.

They were halfway to Seattle when Ella bridged the subjects of a fresh meal. "I like big cities, don't you. They are full of dark alleyways perfect places to catch a meal", said Ella.

"Pardon", asked Alice alarmed.

"Well if I have self-control I don't have to kill my victims and it's much more complicated to turn humans into vampires. I just have to heal them, use my compulsion to make them forget it ever happened and then send them on their way", giggled Ella.

"Can you always control yourself", asked Alice frowning.

"Well depends if anyone is going to notice if they go missing. Its such a hassle to get rid of the bodies. It's just easier to not kill them".

"Can't you drink animal blood"?

"It tastes like cardboard compared to human blood. If I had to. But I don't", replied Ella.

"How often do you need to feed", said Alice cautiously. She wanted to find all she could about Ella, but she did not want Ella to get offended by her questions. "As long as I have blood running through my veins I can do anything a human could do, eat, sleep plus everything a vampire can do".

Alice swallowed the lump in her throat. What she was about to do was either going to be fine or go terribly, terribly wrong. "If you promise not to kill them, that no one else will notice and that you will make them forget then I suppose you could feed. It's better here than in Forks cause the packs won't be happy if a local gets fed on ore dies". It amused Ella how Alice spoke so quietly and slowly, unsure and already regretting her decision.

"Have you ever hunted humans", asked Ella.

"Never", replied Alice.

"I'll show you how".