Ch 9: The stone-walled city

Lorcan POV
We all looked up in sync, already knowing the person who had stepped before us, I didn't bother with suprise.
"Maeve." remarked Whitehorn.
She gave us her signature wicked smile, her lips- crimson red, the glint of pure evil monstrosity shining in her black eyes.
"If it isnt half of the infamous cadre, like your mate like to calls it." Her words were dripping with venom, ironic really with her snake like appearance.
"Give her back, and we will be on our merry way Maeve. The blood oath is over. Broken. I am not yours to command anymore and neither are the others." Whitehorn said.
We all had defiant stances, are chests swelling with fake pride to hide the little fear we all undeniably felt of ending up under her control again. And Maeve knew it.

"The ball's in your court king, I welcome you to Doranelle, the city of the fae. Your mate is in there, but everything that enters this city is mine, to control and command. Choose." she said.
I knew Whitehorn would do the stupid thing and enter the city with Maeve. His brain seems to be on vacation for the past two months.
Loving Maeve, no matter how much I hate the fact now, taught me some things. I found something to love in the manipulative, lying, cruel fae queen, I knew all her little tricks. Before Whitehorn could make a stupid decision that he would regret, I commanded the shadows to reach out into the city, tell me where Aelin was.
But they rebounded right back from the wall. Maeve looked at me, humor dancing on her face, "so many centuries you spent with me Lorcan and you still refuse to learn." she drawled, showing fake disappointment. I just settled on glaring at her. I looked at Whitehorn, who was staring at Maeve, his eyes seemed to be fixed on the city behind her.
"You know the mating bond became weaker, much much weaker, two weeks ago. Standing here, infront of the city where she supposedly is, the bond I have with her isn't becoming stronger. Something is wrong, she isn't here." Rowan said. To say I was shocked was an understatement. The smirk on Maeve's face disappeared, replaced by anger. She raised her hand instead of speaking and tendrils of darkness shot out from it.

Elide POV
When Maeve had stepped into view, Gavriel had pushed me into the bushes, which hurt and momentarily pissed me off since I hadn't seen Maeve come out. Now, I was just worried.
Maeve was being her manipulative self again, offering a choice that was a lose-lose. Rowan, scaring me half to death with his thoughtful expression, but then he opened his mouth and said something I didn't know his distressed mind was capable of lately.

Maeve looked pissed, she lifted her hands and darkness shot out, attacking the fae warriors. The urge to help was overwhelming but going out there wouldn't help anyone except the bitch, so I stayed.
Stayed while Maeve waved away all the attempts at taking her down. Stayed while soldiers poured out of the stone barriers. Stayed while a battle raged on. Maeve was winning, and everyone knew it. Gavriel looked at me at the last second and mouthed one word before soldiers seized him. A word that had ruined everything in my life. A word that will forever be imprinted in my head, escaping his silent lips.
"Valg."

------------

Sorry for the short chapter.
For the sake of suspense ;)