Chapter 10

A few days passed since me and Sterling's chat, I didn't know how to feel about it at this point. I mostly spent my days up in my room, numbly staring out the window which didn't have nearly as an amazing view as the last. I've shut everything out of my mind, including my mate. My heart yearns for his company, but logic is telling me that being here isn't good for me.

Sterling went to my work and told my boss I wasn't ready to return and for some weird reason, she listened to him. He has been trying to find someone to help me, but it isn't easy. I've come to realize that when Sterling has his mind set on something, it's pointless to try and stop him, he's a stubborn one much like myself.

"Hey." Evander was at my door, holding a plate of food that will go untouched by me yet again. I'm not starving myself, it's just hard to eat or do anything really while feeling this way.

I ignored his greeting, looking back out the window.

"This isn't how it was supposed to be. Xenna said-"

"Xenna knows nothing, Evander. She may see the future, actions, but she has no idea what any of us are truly dealing with inside, she should just leave it all alone. She shouldn't be intervening." I tell him.

"Maybe," He said, placing the plate of food on my nightstand before taking a seat across from me by the window. "But what is to one day arrive. . . it's terrible, Millicent. Like nothing I've ever seen."

I looked at him, confused. "Nothing, you've ever seen?"

"Xenna's gifts, are special. When and if she wants, she can project them into others with her touch. She has shown me some of the things that happen, years from now." He said grimly.

"Doesn't showing you, change things?" I asked him.

He shook his head, "No. Like I said before, the destination of the future remains the same, but the paths to that destination can be, tweaked. She thought we all had time, but we don't." Guilt flooded his eyes, I didn't question it.

"What did you see?" I was intrigued, and honestly, a little scared. He looked as if he has seen a ghost.

"Not enough." He told me.

"I don't understand."

"You're not supposed to and neither am I but she was persistent on showing me. The things I've seen were horrible. Xenna, she had you and Sterling meet very early, because he is the answer to helping you find what you're looking for. He can help you get what you want."

That word, want.

He glanced at me quickly, and I tilted my head at him. He knows something.

"What do you know?" I asked darkly, eager for him to reveal what he's hiding.

He looked pained, very reluctant, but sighed, "There is something you need to know about Vinco, something serious. The. . . the children there, they, well they were-"

Another presence entered the room and my body tensed already knowing it was Sterling. Evander didn't finish his sentence, he just let it go, leaving me confused. Just like every other time Sterling is near me, my emotions start to stir while warmth spreads throughout me.

The memories wanted to play out, pressing against the mental barrier I put up but I fought against them. This happens every time Sterling is near, the comfort he brings me helps but his presence always starts the pain again.

I held the gun I stole from one of the guards in my hands, tears wetting my face for what I think will be the last time. Something in me was telling me to look, to open my eyes, and see that this can't be the only way, but I ignored that feeling. This is what I need to do, this is necessary, what they did to me this time is something I won't heal from. . .