Chapter 21

When we arrived at the pack, Charm was in the back seat going crazy. She was gasping at everything in awe, giggling at nothing in particular. That made both Sterling and I glad that she was taking it all so well.

I was a little annoyed with him. I didn't understand why we brought Sharon back with us or what they were talking about when I stormed away. He knew they kept this horrible secret on Xenna's behalf, he has seen the note, Charm's future is at stake and it's as if he doesn't seem to mind at all.

"Do I get my own room?" She asked hopefully.

I laughed, looking back at her, nodding, "You can have anything you want."

She squealed, climbing over Tarana's lap to look out the other window. She watched as we slowly passed by pack members her were outside, waving at them as we passed, all of them returning the gesture, but very confused as to why we brought a child back.

"I will make the announcement through the mind-link. Charm will be protected here, as will Sharon and her daughter." Sterling told me.

I nodded at him, still upset he hasn't told me the reason they came back with us yet. He tried to make conversation, but I didn't engage, which made him mad though he didn't make a scene thankfully.

With a sigh, he glanced at Charm through the rearview mirror, "Hey kiddo," He said, making her look at his eyes through the mirror in wait, "I linked the pack during our trip back here, there is a surprise for you in the house."

She gasped, "Really?"

He nodded, smiling through his upset, making her happy. That lifted the small weight off my chest a little, warming me inside. Aside from the tension between us, he was still the same sweet mate I love so much, even though he's a knuckle-head.

Once we parked, we got out of the car. I was happy to be back surprisingly, relaxing at the sight of our familiar territory. People were still staring, mostly at Charm, wondering who she is, though their confusion wouldn't last long.

"Mommy is that our house?" She asked, causing a few gasps to erupt. All it took was a glare from Sterling for them to disperse and be on their way.

I walked up to Charm, taking her hand in mine, "Yes, that's our house."

"Wow." She sighed, pulling me behind her.

I was nervous, I'll admit, it suddenly dawned on me that I am now a mother who has to care for a little person. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but Charm is making it easy so far. She has no doubts, no questions about my ability to take care of her, only love and trust.

Sterling was right behind us when we walked inside, taking Charm's other hand, bending down to her level.

"Ready to see your surprise?" He asked her. She nodded, her curls bouncing.

He stood back up while I watching him curiously. Even I didn't know what surprise he had for her, but I followed along with them upstairs right up to a room that was a few doors down from his.

Slowly, he pushed on the door, revealing a bedroom that was clearly set up for a child. My eyes widened and Charm yelled in excitement, running inside to explore her new room. It was painted a pastel pink with everything a child could ever need in a bedroom. There were toys, a small desk, a little couch, and books among other things. I had no idea that he arranged this.

"Sterling," I breathed, taking his hand in mine. He smiled down at me, pulling me to his side so that we were pressed against one another. My anger towards him faltered but only a little.

"Mommy, can I play in here for a little bit?" She asked excitedly, bouncing on her feet while she waited for my answer. I laughed, nodding at her and she immediately got to playing.