What comes next?

The morning after came sooner than I would have liked it too, what was I going to do about this child? I had no experience with looking after children, the poor boy must be so terrified. Cole would probably know what to do seeing that he knows everything, is there anything that he couldn't do? So many thoughts "I know your awake" Cole spoke softly whilst I sighed "is that surprising?" I returned gaining no answer for a few brief seconds "no" Cole responded with another brief silence. I reached out for the note that came with Jack, sighing as I read it over and over again "who could do this?" I spoke my mind, the boy had said little which was understandable seeing that both Cole and I were practically strangers to him "I don't know" Cole replied and I scrunched up the note, throwing it into a drawer "Jack will most likely be up soon, we don't want to wake him prematurely, who knows the amount of sleep he's gotten recently" Cole said but there was still something that stood out to me "Cole?" I watched him turn his head to look at me, he had a blank expression "yes?" He asked, I took a breath before continuing with my sentence "we'll have to get a ring" Cole didn't say anything back "if we are going to do this, we need to do this properly meaning you have to buy me a ring" I added hoping to get some reaction out of the android "we don't have to" Cole started but I cut him off "the poor boy as already gone through a lot, he doesn't need us to be confusing him more with our, complicated relationship" I told him knowing that Cole had his eyes on me when I turned away from him "is that really want you want?" Cole questioned me but I didn't want to say anything more on the subject at hand "I'm going to check on Jack" and with that, I left Cole alone.

The bedroom door creaked open when I tried to enter, Jack was still in the bed but from what I could see, he was not sleeping peacefully. I perched myself on the bed and slowly brought my hand through his brown locks hoping to stop whatever bad dreams he was having but the boy startled me by shooting upright in the bed, a little bit of light shone onto his face and I could see his ice blue eyes filled with tears, I probably scared him. What happened next was not something that I could predict, even Cole probably couldn't predict, Jack wrapped his arms around me and hugged me. To say I was shocked was an understatement but I returned the hug, I kept my hand on his hair whilst muttering plenty of words to help him "shush, no one is going to hurt you, not while I'm here" I whispered to him trying my best to comfort the poor boy, only to hear him say "mum". What could I do? I froze upon hearing him say that, his mother left him on a park bench before abandoning him where luckily Cole had found him, did Jack think that I was that mother of his? When Jack had seemed to stop crying, he withdrew from my hug and looked up at me "my mummy never hugged me when I was upset" Jack told me, I drew my thumb over the few stray tears that was now rolling down his cheeks "well if you like Jack, we can do that all the time" I told him and for the first time since he was in my care, he smiled, hope seemed to be glistening in his eyes "can we?" Jack asked which I nodded to "of course we can, but first I'm sure you would like to eat something?" I asked him with the smile remaining on his face "yes please" I seemed to have forgotten what I had to do today, in that moment it seemed that just getting Jack to like me and to trust me was the most important thing I had to do today.

All journeys have secret destinations
that the traveller is unaware of