Uno

Theo's mother was in the kitchen, apron fastened around her waist, a flour splatter across her cheek and oil over her fingertips, creating a glow of grease.

"Mom, you're not Gordon Ramsey, I don't think he will care if you don't use paprika..." Theo sighed.

She raised her eyebrows for a moment at her chopping board before waving her hands up in the air, "What a load of twaddle! It'll be ready at 8pm, so you two can do that little project thing for a while!" She smiled, her back turned to him as she hacked into the chicken using a bridge-hold.

A knock at the door.

Theo ran up to the door, and then realized he was probably a little too keen when he noticed his dad chuckle to his laptop as he went past him.

Luca was already at the front door, pulling the handle down.

"You little shit." Theo snapped, trying to shove him away from the door, into the wall.

I mean, seriously, he'd been standing there waiting for him to come.

Luca smiled at him and responded, "Don't be horrible big bro." And proceeded to swing the door open. Kit was standing there staring at his phone.

"Yo." He looked up, placing his phone in his pocket. "Your mom like milk chocolate?" He smiled, plucking a box of chocolates out from his bag.

"Yeah, thanks." Theo said.

"Don't thank me, they're not for you dipshit. My mom made me bring them, to say thanks for the dinner." He smiled.

"Shoes off." Theo commented.

"You assume the worst of me, Theodore." Kit began, using the other foot to remove one of his shoes and then repeating it to the other. He placed them down near the front door.

Luca blinked at Kit.

"Hi. I wasn't expecting you." Luca sneered.

"Erm is that good or bad?" Kit's eyes widened.

"Neither. I just didn't think you'd be friends with him." Luca continued.

"Who said we were friends?" Kit added, grinning widely, showing his dimple again.

"I didn't say that, Luca. I said we were working on a project. Stop putting words in my mouth." Theo started, defensively.

Luca shrugged and ran off into the sitting room, throwing himself across the couch, knocking his dad's laptop in the process.

Kit stared at Theo, waiting to be told he can come in.

Theo gestured with his hand and let Kit past him, he walked apprehensively into the sitting room.

"Evening, Sir." He smiled at Theo's dad.
"Hi, Kristopher? Call me Firash, no Sir nonsense," He looked up from his laptop screen and pushed his glasses off the bridge of his nose, "What you two up to?"

"Learning. He's smart, I'm not." Kit chuckled nervously, feeling Theo's father's eyes strained onto him.

"He is smart. Not smart enough to clean his room, though." He smiled, shooting Theo an eyebrow raise.

"Come, my mom wants to see you I think.." Theo mumbled to Kit, who nodded, "You're smart, just don't use the smarts well enough."

"I guess."

He'd never seen Kit be so hushed and out of place before. In class, he always had insignificant little comments, that always made most of the class laugh. When he walked down the hall at school he'd always shove people out the way, shouting at them for interfering with his path, claiming they're and I quote 'annoying little babies'.