Author's Introductory Note

Dear Reader,

Thank you for choosing my novel.  I hope you enjoy it.

It is sort of an homage to the Chinese costume dramas I have come to enjoy watching over the last few years.  Consequently, like so many of these, it will have elements of fantasy, a dash of palace intrigue, and a large helping of romance, but it is intended to be on the lighter side (so not like Nirvana in Fire!).

Also, as it is based on c-dramas generally, it will contain a number of those c-drama tropes we know and love.  You may wish to play 'spot the trope' as you read it.  However, it does not contain the following: (1) female main character cross-dressing as a man.  I find this just too unbelievable, and it doesn't fit with the story in any event; (2) male main character saves female lead in mid-air and they spin around multiple times for no apparent reason, staring into each other's eyes.  This one really annoys me; and (3) any character surviving a very long fall off a very steep cliff, in this novel's case because there are no cliffs to fall off.

Elements of the plot may be broadly similar to those in various c-dramas, as they all tend to follow much the same formula.  However, the novel and its characters are my own creation, so any overt similarities to other novels or other media are entirely coincidental.

Also, I am not Chinese (as you can probably tell from the name!), so I apologise for any errors in my interpretation of Chinese culture or language.  I suppose you could say that this novel is set in an alternate China, as I would not dream of attempting to accurately portray a specific period in Chinese history.

That's all from me.  I will leave it to you to read on at your own discretion.

Best wishes,

Bel