Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Interesting Aftermath

The next morning, Ming Yue arrived at the prince's study at the usual time.  Surprisingly, on consulting her own feelings, apprehensiveness was not among them, not even when she saw that the two eunuchs usually stationed outside were not in attendance.  She tapped lightly on the doors, and entered when she heard Weisheng's voice, closing them behind her.

The prince was sitting in his usual seat.  He looked up and smiled at her as she walked towards him.

"Good news, Ming Yue," he said.  "I couldn't tell you before, as my father wanted to keep it quiet until it was confirmed.  Jin Kingdom have agreed to meet on the borders, to affirm the peace accords and discuss opening trade routes."

This was excellent news indeed.  Ming Yue had no idea that Han had made such an offer to Jin, but then, Zhenli had returned to the palace some time earlier, so it was quite possible he had been on his way back to her before her father had received the invitation from Han and had a chance to send a message back.

"That's wonderful, Your Highness" she said, with genuine pleasure.  Weisheng registered her enthusiasm, then continued.

"I will attend on behalf of my father, and we assume that King Huiwen will also send one of his sons.  I believe they are all now of age."

Ming Yue pondered.  "Wang Wei," she thought to herself.  Yes, it would probably be her eldest brother.  He was the most diplomatic of the three.  Her second brother was more interested in poetry and literature, and Zhixing, the youngest, whilst more ambitious than her more artistic sibling, preferred militaristic pursuits.

She focussed her mind back on the prince when she registered the fact that he had started speaking again.  What she hadn't realised, however, was that she had muttered the eldest Jin prince's name out loud.  Hearing her words, Weisheng had quickly masked his surprise, and carried on as if nothing had happened.

"The meeting will be held in just over a month's time, on the anniversary of the initial signing of the peace accords, so we don't have long to prepare.  We will need to arrange everything, as we are the ones who initiated it.  The first thing to do is choose a suitable neutral location, just this side of the border.  Then we can start working on the details." 

Ming Yue nodded. It was a sensible place to begin.

Weisheng spread out a large map of Jin and Han  on the table and motioned her to come closer.  She moved around to stand next to him, so as to avoid having to crane her neck to look at the chart the right way up and, as she bent down to the same level, they both gazed intently at the terrain laid out in front of them, drafted in exquisite detail.

"A lot of our border towns and cities are walled," said Weisheng.  "I am not sure the Jin delegation would want to meet somewhere they might feel a bit hemmed in."

Ming Yue agreed.  Whilst she knew that the delegates attending on both sides would meet with the best of intentions, that did not mean that other less well-meaning parties wouldn't try to interfere, so her brother would no doubt want to proceed with an abundance of caution.

"What about a temporary location?" she suggested.  "We could erect several large tents in an open area right on the border.  It would give more of a feel of neutrality, and both sides would be happy that they could identify any oncoming threats from a distance.  It would be easier to guard as well"