Chapter Nine: The Exhilarating Chase

"Would you mind handing me some clothes?" Ming Yue asked.

Zhao Weisheng went bright red.  Spotting the woman's travelling cloak over a nearby chair, he quickly grabbed it and arranged it over her, covering her exposed skin.

He went to lift her, but she batted his hand away.

"It's not necessary, Your Highness.  I'm perfectly fine."

He shot her a stern look.

"Who gives the orders here?"

She had the good grace to look sheepish.

Not waiting for her reply, he picked her up and walked out of the room.

The innkeeper was stood in the hallway, staring at the ruined doors in horror.  Weisheng looked him directly in the eye.

"Someone has attacked this lady."  He started to walk away, then turned back.  "I will compensate you for the doors, but I suggest that in future, you are a little more careful about the customers you take in."

With that, he strode into his room and the doors closed firmly behind him.

Weisheng placed Ming Yue gently on the bed.  As he went to remove his arms from around her, she smiled ruefully.

"I seem to be a bit of a trouble magnet at the moment.  Sorry."

Weisheng was astonished.  Quickly, he gathered himself, and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

She didn't respond, so he pressed further.

"Did he...touch you?"  His face went red again as the awkwardness of the question hit home, and he realised he wasn't sure he wanted to know the answer.

"Pretty difficult when you're missing a key appendage," she muttered, recalling the satisfying crunching sound as she'd kneed the man in the crotch.  In spite of herself, she giggled.

She looked up at the prince, whose face displayed a mixture of amazement and relief.

"Don't worry," she reassured him.  "You arrived very quickly.  Thank you."  She smiled.

Weisheng stood up and grabbed the back of his neck in frustration.

"I don't understand you," he said.  "You were just attacked.  That man was going to..." he tailed off, unable to find the right words.  "Any other woman would be crying and screaming right now. You, on the other hand.  You...!"  Again, he stopped.

"I have never met anyone like you," he said, quietly.

Ming Yue ignored the fact that her heart had suddenly started racing

"Is that a good or a bad thing?" she asked, brightly.

"I'll let you know," Weisheng responded, giving her a long look.

Suddenly looking down, Ming Yue realised she was wearing only the shawl and her travelling cloak.  She flushed.

"Umm," she said.  "I should probably go and find something to wear..."  She started to get up, but the prince stopped her by taking her arm.

"Don't move.  You are not leaving this spot for the rest of the night," he said, "and certainly not dressed like that!  I will bring you some clothes."  He walked out of the room.

Exhausted, Ming Yue put her head down on the pillow, intending to only close her eyes for a moment.

When Weisheng returned, she was fast asleep.  He sat down on the bed beside her, and gently brushed some loose strands of hair from her face.  The thought of him dressing her in her clothes made him blush, but he couldn't bear the idea of anyone else touching her, man or woman.  He decided it was probably best to leave things as they stood, so he pulled the cover up to her neck and closed the curtains around the bed.  Then, he sat down and waited.