Chapter Fifty-Two: The Happy Union

Ming Yue had not involved herself in the consequences of the recent revelations about the traitorous officials, deciding that it was an internal matter for Han, however big a part she had played in the unmasking.  In any case, it was best to keep a low profile.  Instead, she had focussed all of her attention on the rapidly upcoming nuptials, even though she had very little say in the planning of the big event.

Weisheng's time, on the other hand, had been completely taken up by the stunning revelations about three of his father's most senior officials.  King Xuanming had tasked General Tan and Minister Shen with fully investigating the matter - the facts of Minister Xie's testimony and the circumstances of Ministers Guo and Su's arrest were damning, admittedly, but could not be fully relied upon - and the two men had made relatively short work of it.  Painstaking searches of all of the properties of those involved had yielded results, however much the wrongdoers had tried to hide the evidence, and a few of their less loyal underlings had been more than willing to throw the men to the wolves if it meant saving their own skins and those of their families.

When all the details of the conspiracy had been laid bare, the only thing left was for the king to pass judgment and, under the circumstances, it was a remarkably lenient one.  Still, Weisheng and Minister Shen knew only too well His Majesty's dilemma.  To punish the men and their families too harshly would indicate a serious lapse of judgment on his part in allowing them into his inner circle in the first place.  Still, traitors had to be dealt with in such a way that it would deter others from taking the same path.

Ultimately, after consulting with his son, the king had decided on a punishment that he felt was suitable in all the circumstances.  Ministers Guo and Su could not be let off.  After all, they had conspired to murder the crown prince and, consequently, they were languishing in the palace dungeon, not long for this world.  Minister Xie had marginally redeemed himself with his testimony, so he and the families of all three traitors were to be banished to separate outlying provinces, all to live under the watchful eyes of reliable governors.  Now, all that was left was sweeping up the last few spies from within the palace walls.

One consequence of the delicate political situation was that the planning for the marriage ceremony was progressing at an almost alarming rate.  After all, nothing would take the public's mind off the attempted coup like a royal wedding.  Consequently, before Ming Yue and Weisheng knew it, the happy event was quickly upon them.

When it came to the day itself, everything passed in a blur.  Ming Yue vaguely recalled bowing to Heaven and Earth, their elders, and to each other, but little else.  Truth be told, as far as the couple were concerned, it was a formality, albeit a poignant one, performed for the benefit of others rather than themselves.  They knew their own feelings well enough, and would have been perfectly happy with a simple ceremony.  It was only once they were back in the prince's mansion that the masks of propriety were removed, and they were giggling together like children as they finished their second jar of wine.

Ming Yue reached up and adjusted the neckline of her simple blue dress.  She had been very quick to change clothing when they were safely away from curious eyes, and had not cared one bit that it was very much against custom.

"I have never worn anything so heavy," she complained.  "And red is most definitely not my colour."

Weisheng smiled.

"It was a little overwhelming," he admitted.  "But who are we to argue with hundreds of years of tradition?  And it was a very beautiful occasion.  Still, now that the formalities are over..." he reached for his new wife and pulled her into his lap.

They had been this close before, but this was the first time they were together as a formal union, each half of one complete whole in the eyes of the world.  Ming Yue wrapped her arms around Weisheng's neck and buried her head in his shoulder.  After all they had experienced, this moment was more than she could ever have wished for.