Chapter Seventeen: The Strategic Solution

Back at the prince's mansion, Ming Yue ate quickly, then made her way to the rear gate to wait for the deliverymen arriving with supplies, determined to quiz them on the latest entertainment in the capital.  She was aware that some of the more well-known performances would be well out of the price range of the people she intended to speak to, but that didn't mean they lacked good taste.  In any event, the people whose brains she wanted to pick made deliveries all across the city and, if something was worth seeing, she was sure they would have heard about it.

Luckily, Ming Yue's gamble paid off, and the men had been more than happy to take a few moments out of their busy schedules to speak with the beautiful and cheerful young woman.  Consequently, Ming Yue was soon in possession of copious amounts of notes to go over with the prince later that day.  Narrowing down their options to just a handful of performers was going to be a very difficult task indeed.

In the meantime, the prince had gone straight from the queen's mansion to see his father, hoping that he would give him an audience without a prior appointment.

Luckily the king was never too bothered about that sort of thing, and an impromptu visit from one of his sons was always welcome.

Weisheng's purpose in visiting was to discuss the peace accords with Jin.  His recent conversations with Ming Yue on the subject had prompted him to be more proactive when it came to the matter of harmony between the two kingdoms, and he was growing more and more convinced that maintaining the status quo was simply not an option.

"Father," he said, determined to be blunt in order to make sure he got his message across.  "I know that you are hearing different things from different people, and that it's causing you distress.  I confess that I am no great politician or strategist, but it seems to me that all of the actions of King Huìwén show that he is as devoted to peace between our two kingdoms as you.  I don't know much about him, but I know he's not an idiot, and he has never demonstrated a lust for power.  What could possibly be gained from reigniting the fires of war between us now?  Both kingdoms are equally suffering from the last conflict. Why would he risk such a desperate gamble?"

King Xuanming nodded slowly in agreement.

"Your words make sense," he said, "but my advisers are here for a reason.  No king should ignore another's point of view just because he personally disagrees with it.  My duty is to all of the citizens of Han."  

Weisheng understood his father's point but, nevertheless, pressed on.

"Father, your words are true but, forgive me, also idealistic.  You and I know full well that many of your advisers are drawn from the most wealthy families of Han as favours in return for supporting your reign, even though you had little choice but to do so at the time.  Wisdom and good judgment have nothing to do with it.  Also, many of them have their own agendas."

The king could not disagree, but knew it was necessary to stress to his son the precarious position he was still in.

"Enough, Weisheng!" he said.  "I know all of this.  But the fact remains, our kingdom is still rebuilding itself after the war, and I cannot afford to act directly against the most influential families in Han.  My only option is to counter their destructive opinions with evidence that is so irrefutable that they are left with no choice other than to let the matter go, or risk their bad intentions being brought into the open and, at the present time, I have nothing."

Weisheng thought for a moment.

"What about a summit?" he suggested.  "We could invite a representative from Jin to meet with us at the border on the anniversary of the ratification of the initial treaty.  We could exchange gifts and sign some sort of document that re-affirms the peace accords.  We could also commit to opening the borders in a limited way, for trading purposes.  Surely this would benefit both kingdoms?"