Chapter Forty-Four: The Egregious Gift

Weisheng looked up as a young eunuch entered the study, basket in hand.  He recognised him as Eunuch Wang's assistant.  No doubt he was bearing yet another gift from a palace well-wisher.  He gestured to the man to put it on a table to the side, but the young servant did not move.  The prince raised an eyebrow, inviting him to speak.

"Your Highness, this rare aged wine has been sent by Concubine Shu, who wishes you to enjoy it this evening, which is a time that is most auspicious."

Weisheng nodded.  Concubine Shu was a firm friend of his mother, so he knew her well.  She had always had a great interest in fortune telling and mapping the stars.  It was not unusual for her to send such an instruction along with a gift.

"Very well.  Leave it on the table.  I will enjoy a glass when I have finished with my work, and then send my personal thanks to Concubine Shu in the morning.

The eunuch gave a relieved bow, deposited his precious cargo, and left the room.  After he had gone, Ming Yue appeared from behind a bookcase in a far corner of the study, where she had been stacking the latest memorials.

"All of these congratulatory gifts are a bit presumptuous, don't you think?" she said, teasingly.  "They can't all believe that you are so irresistible that the only princess of Jin will simply swoon with delight at your offer of marriage.  It would be a bit embarrassing if she turned you down now, wouldn't it?"

Weisheng smiled without turning around.  He did not have to see Ming Yue's face to know that she was currently wearing a playful, mischievous look.

"Indeed," he responded.  "I may have to use other means to persuade her.  Perhaps if she drinks some rare wine, she will lower her defences enough to accept me."  He inclined his head towards the table, and Ming Yue walked across to retrieve the basket that had just been delivered.  Weisheng set out three cups on the desk in front of him and called out to his friend.

"Luo Jian.  Come drink with us.  I have lost all motivation to do any more work this evening."

Luo Jian appeared from the other side of the study, where he had been diligently polishing his sword, and sat down at the desk with Ming Yue and Weisheng.  The prince poured each of them a cup and lifted his to his nose, breathing in the scent of the wine.  It was unusual, slightly herbal and earthy, but not unpleasant.  He was about to raise it to his lips when he heard voices outside.  Recognising one of them as Eunuch Wang, he got to his feet.  Luo Jian rose also, but Weisheng put a restraining hand on his arm.

"I'll go and see what's happening.  Stay here and enjoy the wine with Ming Yue."

Sensing an immediate protest, Weisheng stopped him.

"It's fine.  Eunuch Wang is out there.  I'm sure it will only take a moment for me to deal with whatever is happening."  Striding over to the study doors, he threw them open, and stepped into the cool evening air.

Eunuch Wang was facing off against a young, extremely agitated maidservant.  Two royal guards looked on awkwardly, clearly unwilling to physically intervene.

"Young lady," he heard his chief eunuch say, "it is inappropriate to simply rush into the prince's mansion at night demanding to see someone."

By this point, the young woman was almost in tears.

"Please, sir, I have to see Ming Yue.  You don't understand.  It is incredibly important."

Weisheng looked more closely at the maidservant.  She seemed familiar.  He cast his mind back, until a clear picture emerged.  Ming Yue and this woman, gossiping like old friends in the palace grounds several weeks ago after they returned from their visit to the market.