Chapter Fourteen: The Important Project

Ming Yue cursed inwardly at being so careless, and thought quickly.  Looking the prince straight in the eye, she responded.

"I spent some time with relatives in the mountains growing up," she said.  "While I was there, I was lucky enough to catch the attention of a talented master.  He took me in as his pupil."

It was not entirely a lie.  Back in Jin, Ming Yue had indeed enjoyed roaming freely in the mountains behind the palace.  It was there that she had first encountered Master Zhong.   Impressed with her spirit and natural ability, he had gone to the king, Ming Yue's father, and told him that he saw great potential in his only daughter and had offered to train her.

King Huìwén had been only too happy to take up the offer.  Master Zhong was well known across both kingdoms as one of the most respected and skilled martial artists living.  He was careful to never involve himself in political matters, meaning he was warmly received wherever he travelled, and he rarely took on disciples.  King Huìwén was not about to turn down this once in a lifetime opportunity for his daughter, and Ming Yue's martial arts prowess had advanced rapidly from there.

Weisheng gave Ming Yue a long look.

"That being the case," he said, "I am surprised that you would leave your training behind to serve as a palace maid."

Ming Yue responded immediately.   Unlike before, her answer to this question had been well-rehearsed.

"After my sister became sick and was no longer able to serve the royal palace, it became my family's duty to provide assistance," she said.  "I am the only other unmarried Li daughter, and so the responsibility fell to me to take her place.  I do not regret it," she finished.

Looking about her, she resolved to quickly change the subject, as she was finding it increasingly difficult to lie to the prince without feeling extremely guilty, and she was sure her discomfort would show on her face if they continued this particular conversation.  The prince was very observant, she had noticed, and also very adept at picking up on the emotions of those around him.

"Your Highness," she said.  "We must be only a few miles away from the Jin border."  She gestured generally in the direction of her homeland.

"Yes," said Weisheng.  "That's why the military training grounds are located here, although I am pleased that there has been no need to deploy large numbers of the army thus far.  The peace my father and King Huìwén negotiated has held up to date.  My only wish is that the relationship between the two kingdoms was stronger.  Ultimately, war is never to anyone's benefit, particularly the innocent civilians who are often caught in the middle."

Ming Yue stayed silent during this short speech.  She had been relatively confident that the prince was not one of the palace inhabitants looking to sabotage relations between Jin and Han, but to hear him confirm it was reassuring, and gave her a solid piece of information to report back to her father.  Not wanting to waste the opportunity, she pressed further.

"Have you spoken to your father about this?" she asked.

"I have mentioned it on a few occasions," he responded, "but I think it's time I took the matter up with him again.  The recent flooding in the northern provinces has already taken its toll on the Han people.  Building a solid relationship with Jin and preserving the peace between us is now more important than ever."

Ming Yue smiled widely at Weisheng, and her face lit up.

"Your Highness is both wise and kind," she said.  Weisheng looked at her to see if she was mocking him, but he saw no hint of irony in her face.  Instead, he only saw pleasure, and what looked like a touch of relief.  He urged his horse forward alongside Luo Jian once more, and noticed the man's eyebrow raised in query.