almost, but not enough

I took off from the van the second I felt the tires halt against the snow-covered pavement. Every minute I spent in his proximity is another miniscule sliver of my logic gone, another sprinkle of confusion added to my train of thought.

At the beginning of today, I wasn't thinking twice about Beau, much less him showing up out of the blue. As I was packing my things, the first thing that came to mind was "What would Sophie not scold me for?" "What will gain Miss fashionista Sophie's approval?" It was nowhere near the consideration that Beau would be joining us on this trip. I would've packed sweatpants if that were the case.

I hate sleeping in sweats. They're comfortable for a chill day at home, but I will do anything and everything possible to sleep in shorts. No particular reason, I just like being able to be cold enough to snuggle up in mounds of blankets. I've already taken into thought that we'd be in the middle of a snowy forest, but I highly doubt the cabin will come without a heater. So all I packed for loungewear was big t-shirts and itty-bitty shorts. I was under the false impression that I'd only be around Sophie throughout the day. Mason and Mariella will find other things to tend to, as long as they're as far away from each other as possible. The few employees that are helping out this weekend would rather keep their job than risk getting caught fooling around with the girl who's basically treated like a second daughter to the Clemontes. But apparently Beau's now in the mix. And I'm not sure how I feel about walking around in shorts that are riding up my ass on a constant basis.

Then again, I didn't think I'd have to worry about anything overtly sexual happening until what just occurred less than a half hour ago. When I'd finally come to the realization that he was definitely here to stay, I thought we'd do everything possible to avoid each other. Or at least that's how he made it out to be last weekend. He was very adamant on kicking me out of his life for good, even if he didn't explicitly say so, I knew what was coming the moment he raised his voice and startled me. The deal is done. We both know that. I thought once we were out of those bonds that kept us together were cut loose he'd want nothing to do with me. I can't tell if that's still the case or not.

And now, I'm here. Shoving myself out of the car to pull a Mariella-Mason and get the fuck away from Beau.

Sophie follows me with tired, swollen eyes. She just barely woke up, thankfully. Rest-assured, I wouldn't have even been as half a willing participant to the thing that happened in the car.

Yes, like an 8-year-old, I've chosen to refer to it as the thing. This time, I wasn't graced with the ability to blame all of it on Beau, I was just as into it as he was. For that reason I can't exactly call it "Beau's antics" and it sounds worse to say "our antics" so it's the thing.

Maturity at its ultimate peak.

"So we unpacking or what?" she yawns, a puff of white air blowing from her mouth.

I nod quickly. My eyes flit to Beau's tall figure climbing out of the van about half his size. Next to the vehicle, he looks like a giant. It's almost funny to see him climb out of there, his long legs trapped between the seats and his long torso having to crouch over in order to save his head from banging on the roof. His thick black coat hangs down to his knees, matching the rest of his black outfit. Not one article of clothing on his body is a different shade of black. It's one clean sweep of the same pitch dark color. His hands reach up to adjust the collar of his coat and he shrugs it on for further measure. This guy's sex appeal is though the roof. I can see why it leaves girls drooling. Hell, I even think my mouth might be watering. But it's a shame how he let's that go to waste with his unbearably spasmodic character.

A pale hand waves in front of my face frantically. "You good? What the fuck are you staring at him for? We both know I'm the hotter sibling," Sophie scoffs, her voice full of indignation and zero sarcasm.