he likes the chase

Golden sunlight pours through the sheer white curtains hanging over my window. The sudden gleam that casts upon my face rudely awakens me. The time on my phone reads 8:00 and by my standards, that hour falls under the category of absurd. I keep my eyes shut while I walk over to my window to "not lose the sleep", shut my blinds, and fling myself back into bed.

A few minutes of peaceful quiet goes by. I'm so close to drifting off to sleep, I can practically taste it. My body is wrapped in the warmth of my mound of blankets, my head included. Complete darkness engulfs me and allows me to float away into the dreamy state of sleep.

Then some pest barges in and hops on top of my tired body. It's not until they rip the covers from my face that I know the culprit. Of course, it's Sophie.

"Wake up," she chimes in a sing-song voice. This is the exact reason why I don't let her sleep in my room. This girl wakes up at the crack of fucking dawn with her insane amount of bottled up energy she's had time to rejuvenate overnight. She wakes almost everyone up when she's grown bored and then passes out later when her burst of energy has worn off. Classic Soph.

"No," I groan and tug the sheets above my head again while she preoccupies herself with activating every light source to be found in my room, starting with my damn curtains.

She skips back over to me and yanks all of my blankets off of my body, leaving me to fend in the freezing cold temperature of my room.

I give another few weak protests, all of them having the same reply from her which is: "Get your lazy ass up." After she threatens to push me off the bed I scramble to my feet because she's proven to me that yes, in fact, she can do it.

Barely giving me enough time to put on some slippers, Sophie drags me down to the kitchen where my mom is already awake cooking a simple breakfast. It's just eggs and potatoes, but she cooks them like heaven on earth. I don't even know how she does it either. I've watched my mom cook thousands of times and yet I've never been able to pick up on her knack for cooking.

"Morning, Mrs. R" Soph chirps happily.

My mom turns around with a youthful, beautiful smile. "Good morning, girls. How'd you sleep?"

"Fine," Sophie and I say in unison.

"I was sleeping fine until Soph came running in like it was an emergency," I laugh and sarcastically glare at the culprit beside me.

Sophie holds her hands up, playing the victim in this situation. "Hey, in my defense, you slept so long. I thought you were dead."

"I slept at 1 in the morning because we were watching The Vampire Diaries!" I gasp in shock.

"You do sleep an awful lot, honey," my mom takes her side.

I begin to explain why she's wrong with playful indignation, "What? I-"

Sophie holds a finger up to shush me as she waddles over to my mom and hugs her. "I'm just trying to look after your daughter, Mrs. R. She never appreciates my..." she begins to overdramatically sob, "unceasing efforts."

"Traitors! The both of you!" I point at them, while failing to not break a smile. Truthfully, I love how tight their bond is. Because Sophie spends a lot of my time at my house, she's practically a part of the family. I'm glad for that because it gives her the family dynamic she lacks in her own home. Besides, since my mom likes her so much, it's easy to get her to let me have Sophie over as often as I do.

Kat trudges downstairs moments later and Soph resumes to teasing her about her new relationship, as do I. We let my mom in on the joke and soon even she's making my sister blush as red as a tomato.