play me forever, baby

tw: impact play

"I demand a fucking rematch!" I throw my hands up in the air defeatedly as Beau beats me, yet again, in another round of air hockey. Among the many other things he could have chosen in this 'game room' of his, he has to go and choose the thing, unbeknownst to me, he's had plenty of practice at.

Beau was just afraid of losing to me at any other game.

He flips the red switch on the side of the table off so all the cool air rising from the surface of the table stops, along with the hum of the whirring engine. "It's not my fault you don't know how to play," he smirks, tossing the cracked puck at me and leaving it to my lightning-quick reflexes to catch it. That puck wasn't cracked until we got in here. Matter of fact, this whole room hadn't been touched for about two months, as long as Beau and I have been 'dating'. He stopped bringing his friends around for obvious reasons, who would spend most of their time in here playing their video games. The only other people who really came in here besides them were me and Sophie and I purposely distanced myself from her up until two days ago, when I found out she knew about us for some time and didn't really mind it. Since then, we've been talking about everything that happened, catching up. And when I wasn't with her, I was with Beau.

I couldn't stand to be around my parents right now.

I've only been over at my house to sleep and for all my usual belongings, but that's pretty much about it. I haven't talked to or even seen much of anybody since that dinner. My parents were still working their unconventional shifts, otherwise they were avoiding me like a "problem" that was meant to be "fixed".

I saw Kat a little more, but not by any drastic amount. We mostly just bumped into each other in school and we ran in the same circle of friends, so during lunch and after school, when I wasn't with Beau, I was with them. We didn't say much to each other. We participated in the same conversations but never held one just the two of us.

When we were home, it wasn't much different. A time where we actually hung out and enjoyed each other's company, eating takeout while watching whatever corny movie LMN put on that night, seemed like a fever dream after having not done that in so long. Now it's just a cold shoulder. Mainly from her end, but I can't act like I haven't played a part in it too. My willingness to let this hostility go on just so I wouldn't have to face her plays as big a role in our estranged mannerisms. But I can't lie and say I haven't missed having a sister.

Beau's been really good going about all of this though. He's made me feel certain that I'm not the only one to blame for this mess. Everyone has their own partial hand in it. Me, for allowing our lies to go so far. Him, for enabling it. My parents, for being so dismissive. Kat, for being so quick to judge. But never was our love considered a mistake or a "fault". We reassured each other of that every time we spent time together. Loving him wasn't something I would regret, despite the people around me trying to tell me all the reasons why I should. I would never apologize for loving Beau, not in a million fucking years.

If I have to turn to anger rather than guilt to get that point across, I will.

Beau grips my waist firmly, his electric touch snapping me back into reality. I prefer this reality more than anything else in the world. Butterflies fluttering in my stomach. His loving gaze warming my heart. Even the silly little games we play. I'll gladly stay here, forever.

He sets me down on the air hockey table. At first I allow it, but when I feel only empty hollowness supporting my weight, I instantly latch my legs around his waist to put oreof my force there. He gives me a questionable look. "This thing is going to break right under me," I warn, using my hands to cling to his shoulders.