caught

"Both of you get dressed, and Jo, your ass is coming with me!" Kat screams at the top of her lungs, making certain that she slams the door hard enough to rattle the walls. I know she's Jo's sister and all, but fuck she is a bitch.

I manage to keep that to myself, not every thought and opinion of mine has to be uttered. My eyes flit to Jo, who's perched on her knees, furiously wiping her tears away. I reach out to soothe over her shoulder, but she abruptly snaps away. "Hey," I calmly hum. I know I'm way too calm for this situation, but someone here needs to remain level-headed if it's not her or her sister. Sophie I'm not too sure of yet, but for all I know, once the shock passes she'll be making just as big of a scene as Kat is. The last fucking thing I need is them making Jo feel like shit. Or Jo doing something her mind can give her hell for later. I'm playing mediator here, which is ironic considering I'm usually the one instigating the problem to begin with.

The need to protect Jo makes me do a lot of shit, including going against my natural instincts.

She stands up, quickly running into my closet to snatch a t-shirt off one of the hangers and a new pair of underwear. Her shaky breathing tells me one of two things: she's panicking or she's fuming. I really hope it's the latter, or else I'm not letting her fucking touch the situation until she's ready.

"Jo, please, talk to me." I stand up, following her into the closet. It's still spacious enough for both of us to stand comfortably and there's not a chance anyone could make out our words because the walls aren't so paper thin.

She bites her lips, blinking fast to hold back her tears. I want to hold her, wipe her tears away if she'd let me. But by the way she flinched away from me just now, I know she doesn't want my touch to influence what she's going to do. She's pulling away, I can feel it. I know she wanted to do all of this on her own, but things didn't go as she thought they would. A tear slips down her cheek and like the others, she swipes it away with the back of her hand. Please, baby, just talk to me.

She opens her mouth to speak. What I wasn't expecting was to be met with a penetrable voice fueled with anger, "I'm not fucking going anywhere with her. She has no fucking right to be coming in here and start dictating shit. I'm not going to take any more of her bullshit."

My mouth hangs open. Surprise takes over my movements that I totally miss her pushing past me starting her beeline to my bedroom door. I snap out of it and get dressed quickly before catching up to this woman on a mission right before she can fulfill it. I get that she has every right to be pissed, but fighting fire with fire will do nothing. Believe me, I would fucking know. I've come to know her wrath all too well these past few months and I'm very familiar how brutal she can be with her words when she's not in control of them. I don't want to see her do that to her sister. I don't want to see her go through the repetitive stages of regret and remorse and I will do everything in my power to protect her from her own destructive self.

"Jo! Jordyn!" I call after her. When I finally get my hands on her shoulders, I whip her body around so she has no choice but to look me in the eye.

"No, she doesn't get to talk to me like that. She doesn't have the right to confront us at all. I swear to god, as soon as I fucking get to her she will not hear the end of it." Her threat holds nothing but truth, and that worries me. I didn't expect her from her display of tears just moments ago and lack of words to do a complete turnaround to this ticking time bomb just anticipating its explosion.

Sorry, I can't let her do that. She may be pissed off now and wants to hurt, but later on I know she will tear herself apart for the damage she did. As long as I can help it, she won't be destroying anything. That includes her sister, who is being an overly judgmental bitch, not even taking in all the facts before ridiculing our situation.