Chapter 13 - The Cat's Secrets

Drip, drip, drip—

My eyes snap open and I carefully sat up on the bed. I glance over to Flavio, who's sleeping on the floor. He didn't seem to be awake. I quietly scan the room for the odd dripping sound but to no avail.

Then suddenly—tap, tap, tap, THUMP!

And at that moment, I realize, someone or something is out by that door. Does Flavio know about this? I glance over to the unfazed Flavio, still passed out on the floor.

I held my breath as the sound of footsteps slowly fades away along with the sound of dripping water hitting the wooden floor. I carefully let out a sharp exhale as the noises completely disappear.

Still denying the noises I heard, I throw myself back to the bed and slowly return to my sleep.

Not long after I fall asleep, I've returned to the empty white void once again but this time, it felt different.

"Hishi!" a painful scream ringed into my ears. I turn my head towards the direction of the scream and there it appears - the door.

I hesitate a little before reaching to grab the doorknob. I recall the draining scream once again in my head as I go through the door.

As I enter, I'm suddenly in the middle of a forest in flames. The crackling sound of burnt wood pierced my ears as the smoke burnt my chest.

I then carefully surveyed the area. Not far from me, I see many bodies lying dead on the ground, swimming in a pool of their own blood. Amongst the bodies, I spot a man kneeling down in the distance. It seemed like he was the only one alive.

I quietly approached the man from behind. As I got closer, his silhouette made out as if he's cradling a person in his arms. When I successfully approached the man, I unintentionally saw the face of the man whom he was cradling.

"This is—!"

Before I could process the face of whom I saw, I've jolted awake.

As usual, I hastily sat up on the bed showered in a cold sweat and a mild headache. I look over to the floor where Flavio had slept in only to see that it's empty. He must've woken up early.

I got off the bed and tidied the sheets as well as my appearance. After I made sure that I don't look awful after waking up, I finally got out of the room. I look around and spotted that the odd door had been sealed shut and the writing had been ripped off.

"Ah, you're awake." Flavio spoke from the kitchen.

I turn my head towards Flavio and was met with an enticing smell and the sound of sizzling.

"Good morning..." I greeted, my voice rasp.

"Good morning." He replies as he flips an omelet inside the pan. "Come sit on the counter there, Breakfast is almost ready."

I nod and sat on the wooden stool, resting my elbows on the cold marble countertop.

"We I don't really have a dining table since It's too large for just a small house so I hope it's alright." Flavio spoke as he poured the omelet onto a plate of rice.

"Flavio, do you live alone?" I asked, glancing briefly onto the wooden floor in front of the rooms in the hallway.

"Of course! Gets a little lonely here but I can't take in too many people to such a small house." He spoke as he brings the plate to the counter behind him.

I then recall his small slip up — We — and gather the courage to mention the noises to Flavio.

"I heard noises last night. Drips of water and a thump." I spoke, turning my head towards Flavio, who pushed the plate of omelet gently towards me.

"Maybe a pipe broke, I'll call the plumber later today then." Flavio responded as he leans on the counter, opposite me.

I slowly nod and looked down at the plate of omelet in front of me. Flavio had drawn a face of a cat on it with ketchup. I look back up to Flavio who had rested his face on his two hands, his tail swaying slowly behind him.

"Tada! Flavio's special omurice!" He smiled, letting out a muffled purr.

"T-thank you." I stuttered, overwhelmed by his enthusiasm.

As I pick up the spoon, I notice Flavio slightly leaning closer. I dig out a small portion from the omelet with my spoon and slowly bit into it.

It's sweet! And delicious!

I quickly ate the rest of the omelet in its tastefulness. As I ate, Flavio serves me a glass of milk next to the plate. After I've eaten the plate clean, I chugged down the glass of milk entirely and let out a satisfied sigh.

"Do you like it?" Flavio asks.

"It's very good! You should make it more often!" I replied.

"For you, I will! It's just—" Flavio gazes downwards as he stood up straight. "—my friends never liked my omurice, said it was too sweet or too salty."

"Well, now you have someone who would happily eat it." I smiled.

Flavio lets out a relaxed sigh. "Thank you, Cole."

As Flavio washes the dishes, I look over to the clock on the wall — 9 AM.

"Flavio? Aren't we supposed to go to school?" I asked, slightly worried.

"Oh, don't worry. It's a Saturday, we have days off on weekends." He replied, his back facing me as he continues to wash the dishes.

"Huh." I shrugged and reached for my phone. Lev hasn't responded to any of my messages.

But suddenly—ding!

A notification from my phone just went off. It's from Lev: il nebras. nxet to teh park. ssrey. cnat pick u up.

Confused, I tilt my head at the message.

"Did Lev finally text you back?" Flavio asks as he dries his hands with a rag.

"He did, but..." I answered as I show the text to Flavio.

"I think he passed out drunk yesterday at the Il nebras. I'll take you to him." Flavio offers.

I nod. Flavio takes off his apron and grabbed his car keys. After turning off the lights and locking the door, we both enter the car and drove away to pick up Lev.