10

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA

24 September 2000 - 12.45 p.m.

HILMAN was taken aback when he heard the special bulletin from RTM's channel one radio. He slowed his car and listened. Thought over what he had heard. Shooting at KLCC? Terrorist? He just could not believe it! Yet, his police instinct felt challenged. Anger started to sneak in.

Hilman sighed. He would like so much to take on the terrorists to uphold the country's peace and prosperity. He would not allow terrorists to gain control of this country. His love for his country was so strong. His duties were untainted even though blood was spilled. He had no choice. If he had not fired, he would be fired at. If he had not killed, he would be killed himself.

Finally, Hilman made peace within himself. He erased the KLCC incident and the terrorists from his mind. His thoughts now were more about Jeslina. Where could she be? Why didn't his sister-in-law, Nor Alia, called to inform him of Jeslina's whereabouts?

Hilman heaved a sigh. His heart suddenly saddened. The cold treatment from his parent-in-laws tore his heart. They could, at least, allow him to say 'Happy Birthday' to Jeslina.

He counted the days, months and years without any sign of giving up. Soon, his breath grew heavy. Jeslina was 19 now. She had grown up. Hilman shook his head and sighed. He missed her so much. His heart shuddered... tearing his soul apart. 

 ***********************************************************************************************

RADDISON EMPIRE, W62nd MANHATTAN, NEW YORK

23 September 2000 - 1.15 a.m.

JESLINA was tired. She slept soundly. Earlier, Nor Alia had brought her on a tour of the city. The registration for New York University would only open in two weeks. In the meantime, while waiting for the registration to start, Nor Alia took her niece to see and experience New York City. They went shopping to buy whatever necessities Jeslina would need throughout her stay during her study here. At the same time, they visited interesting places around the world famous city.

They spent the whole afternoon visiting Central Park riding the yellow cab. From there, they went to the museum of the City of New York, north of Central Park. Then they went to the museum of Art and the strawberry farm. Before returning to the hotel, they took time to experience the evening at Fifth Avenue exactly opposite Madison Square Park, near the birthplace of Theodore D. Roosevelt.

Tomorrow, Nor Alia intended to bring Jeslina to South Manhattan. They would see the enormous Status of Liberty from Battery Park. After that, they would go shopping at Chinatown before crossing the Brooklyn Bridge to get to Brooklyn Heights. Brooklyn Bridge was famous for the New York Marathon held annually.

***********************************************************************************************

SUDDENLY, something disturbed Jeslina's sleep. She turned left and right. Her eyelids moved rapidly. Something had crept into her slumber. She was dreaming. A frightening nightmare.

A gunshot rang in her ear. Her face contorted with fear. Right before her eyes, she saw her father reeling backward in pain. A bullet had struck his chest.

"Jeslina!" her father's voice echoed. 

Her father's face was unclear. She found it hard to picture her father's face. 

Another shot rang out. This time the bullet struck his forehead. Her father dropped backward, his hand stretched forward. Jeslina tried in vain to catch her father's hand. She screamed.

***********************************************************************************************

"JES! Jeslina!" Nor Alia shook her neice's body. She was sleeping on the adjacent bed when she heard Jeslina's scream.