37

BATTERY PARK, SOUTH MANHATTAN

New York - 13 October 2000

HILMAN sat on one of the wooden benches, facing the sea. His eyes were directed more to a big statue at Liberty Island popularly known as the Statue of Liberty. He was composed as though nothing had happened. However calm though he was, his mind was a mess. His soul troubled. In fact, the storm in his heart was greater than the Pacific Ocean's. Something was on Hilman's mind. 

Daytime was almost gone. Over the horizon, the setting sun looked beautiful and red. A sign nightfall would arrive soon. As time ticked and passed on, Hilman still remained there, as though he refused to leave. His physique was in a bad shape. Unlike when he first arrived in New York earlier this month.

 For the umpteenth time, Hilman inhaled deeply, running his hands over his face from the chin up to his head. His hair was a mess. His face not as handsome as before. Everything was in disarray.

Hilman did not notice the two men who had been watching his every move. They were the same two men who broke into Daljit's house a couple of days before. In fact, they were members of the United State Secret Service who served the White House. 

The cell phone of one of them vibrated in silence. The phone's ringer was set to vibration only. 

"Yeah?" 

"What's going on now?" A voice was heard. 

"He's still there. Do you want me to put him down?"

"Nope! We're right on schedule. Arrest him!"

"Okay, sir."

The man turned his cell phone off and returned it to his coat pocket. He gave a sign to his partner. Taking their guns out of their holsters, they moved forward towards Hilman.

Once they positioned themselves five-feet away from Hilman, they pointed their guns at him. Hilman was surprised to see the two men suddenly appeared before him.

"Freeze!"

Hilman froze. Hadn't enough time to react. 

"You're under arrest! Drop your weapon!" 

Slowly, Hilman pulled the gun from his waistband. And slowly, too, dropped the gun down. 

"Okay... put your hands on top of your head!"

Hilman did as he was told. At the same time, his eyes stared at the two guns pointed at him. He waited for them to make any false move. Any mistake on their part, even for a second, was an advantage for Hilman.

"You're are under arrest! You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can be held against you in the court of law!" one of them said.

The man stepped closer to Hilman and produced a handcuff. The other readied himself on front of Hilman. The gun barrel never lost its sight on Hilman.

"Who are you guys?" Hilman asked. 

"The US Secret Service!" the man facing Hilman pronounced. Proud.

The man closed to Hilman held out the handcuff to himself, asking him to put it on himself. He would cuff the other hand. A cautious procedure.

Hilman did what the man told him to do. He handcuffed himself on the left hand and let the other hung loose. Hilman turned his back to the man. As the man started to handcuff his right hand, Hilman made his moves. He pulled hard on the loose handcuff and tied it around the man's neck. Swiftly, he grabbed the man's gun and pointed it to the officer's head. 

"I'll shoot you, damn it!" the other man warned. 

"Go ahead! Shoot!" Hilman challenged, hiding behind his hostage.