5

NEW YORK HOSPITAL, MANHATTAN

9 October 2000 - 6.00 a.m.

DR. COHEN ran his stethoscope over Hilman's chest, listening for his patient's heartbeat. Soon afterward, he shook his head and sighed softly. Hilman's heart was beating faster than normal. Then, Dr. Cohen shone a flashlight on Hilman's eye. Hilman's eyeballs shot upward.

"Dreaming," Dr. Cohen concluded, muttering to himself.

"Is something wrong, doctor?" the police officer on duty asked. He walked over to Dr. Cohen. He, who had relieved his colleague from 5.30 that morning, did not look worried. His colleague had told him about how Hilman would often wake up in a rage and struggled as though he was hysterical. 

"Nope," Dr. Cohen answered casually. 

Nevertheless, both stared at Hilman. Hilman's face was a mess. His eyelids seemed to be moving. Only Dr. Cohen was aware of the change in his patient. While the police officer only saw the body lying weak and tired, no more than that.

"Stand by... stand by." Hilman muttered suddenly, just a whisper actually.

The police officer quickly held his cuffs. He was ready to face the unexpected.

"Leave him alone!" Dr. Cohen ordered. 

The police officer seemed to obey Dr. Cohen's instruction. He refrained from getting his baton out from its holster that was neatly tucked at his waist. But his curiosity made him went closer and propped his ear nearer to Hilman's mouth. His eyes blinked when he heard Hilman said something. 

"He said... stand by... stand by! What the hell is he talking about?"

"Nightmares. Just nightmares," Dr. Cohen explained. 

"Stand by..." Hilman whispered again.

***********************************************************************************************

SERDANG, SELANGOR, MALAYSIA

September 1981

"STAND BY!"

The direction was heard over the walkie-talkie.

"Don't shoot until you have the order." The commander's voice was heard again.  

Hilman held his rifle steadily. The weapon had bored frame, its barrel screwed. A bullet would spiral through when shot. And when it hit a man's head or chest, the victim was almost sure to be dead. In most operations as such, nearly none of the criminals escaped the sight. Even if they did, there were high possibilities that they would be seriously injured. Chances of them surviving, after that, was too thin. 

Hilman closed his left eye tightly and synchronized his right eye with the barrel, pointing straight at the bank's front door. His index finger readied by the trigger. He held his breath so that his sight would not shift when he shoot. Hilman waited for his commander's next directive. The situation would worsen anytime now. It would be chaotic soon as shots were heard. 

There was still time to look around. Hilman could five snipers hiding around the area. 

"When the first robber wearing a blue jacket comes out... don't shoot! That's our man. Undercover!" Further directives were heard again, it was just a repeat of a previous directive. 

"Remember! Case closed!" The order was a signal that they would target the head or chest. That meant the criminals must be shot dead because they had a record to shoot indiscriminately and would shoot without hesitation.

Five minutes later, a man wearing a blue jacket hurriedly came out through the bank's front door. The man quickly got on a motorbike and sped off leaving the area. Soon after, four men in mask followed out from the same directions. They were armed with pistols. Two of them, each carried bags full of stolen money.