CHAPTER 26 - A HELPING HAND

I pour the boiling water from the kettle into the mug, stirring it and dropping the spoon in the sink. The strong, familiar scent of coffee wafts up my nose, instantly comforting me as I pick up the drink, making my way out of the kitchen and into the living room. Lucius is sat on the armchair, shirtless and waiting for my return. He smiles when he sees me approaching him, taking the steaming mug from my hands and placing it on the small table beside him. "Thank you princess," he says, smirking. "But there's something else I want right now."

"Oh?" I raise my eyebrow at him as he gives me a cute look, opening his arms wide, making me laugh. I give him my hand as he reaches for it, pulling me gently into his embrace as he sits me in his lap, cosy and wonderfully warm. I turn my head so I'm facing him, watching his eyes as they fall to my lips for a second. "Don't tease me like that..." he whispers, kissing my shoulder before glancing up at me. "You know what it does to me." He gently presses his lips to mine, kissing me sweetly as I slowly kiss him back, feeling like a warm tingly buzz inside.

I pull my head back to rest it against his chest, his hand gently caressing my thigh. I close my eyes, wondering what this means for us. I don't understand the connection between us, but I did know that right now, I was comfortable.

Here, with Lucius, I feel safe in his arms. Like I could stay here for the rest of my life.

I cuddle up against his arm which is resting on my chest, our fingers laced together as he grips my hand tightly. My mind wanders, and I end up thinking about what will happen in the coming months from now. About my future. Really, if I even was going to have a future. Or more importantly, if he was going to be in it.

"What are you thinking?" He speaks softly next to my ear, making me relax.

"You're not reading my mind?" I ask, a hint of amusement in my voice. I feel his chest lower as he breathes out, nestling his face in my hair. "Believe it or not, I've started to respect your privacy."

"Hmm," I say, smiling as I feel him chuckle lightly into my hair. I sigh as he moves his head back to rest it on mine, kissing my cheek. "Nothing much, just the future..."

I feel him freeze before relaxing again, guessing his thoughts as he frowns. "That's certainly not nothing much, Kelly."

"I'm just... curious. You know?"

I watch as he lowers our hands, opening my closed fist as he traces a line from palm to my wrist with his finger, silent like he's lost in his thoughts.

"I can tell you, if you want."

Now it's my turn to frown as I turn around to look at him, confused. "What do you mean?"

"I may know a thing or two about palm reading," I raise my eyebrows. "Haven't I had enough of that from Trelawney?" I say, remembering all the divination classes I had bunked. "I didn't say I believe in it," he lies, smirking.

I shake my head, "I don't either..." I stare at his hand on mine, thinking of how badly I wanted to know. "But you can try." He smiles, lifting my hand and placing it in his so my knuckles are pressed to his flat palm. He stares at it, his brows furrowed in thought when his eyes suddenly widen, looking panicked. I feel my heart stop.

"What is it?" He stays quiet in shock. "Lucius what does it say?"

He looks at me in concern, his voice quiet. "It says..."

"What?"

"That you look beautiful right now." My face drops in annoyance as he laughs, smiling when I push him away. "Okay, okay I'm sorry."

"Its serious Lucius, tell me what it says." He takes my hand again, this time, stroking the lines on my palm with his finger, closely looking at the skin. "This one," he slowly traces the biggest line, "means you have a long life ahead of you." I smile, watching him as he does the same. "This one," he touches one in the middle, pointing to three different places, "says you will be happy, healthy and loved by many." He meets my eye for a second before I look away, shy as I point to another.