Chapter 12

Nova started getting ready, way earlier than she needed to, but she knew sleep wouldn't be an option. She drew a hot bath and sat in it for a long while until she started to feel the water cool off.

She got out and changed into the dress she got for the meeting, and after some time, Nuala and Cerridwen knocked on her door. They put her hair in a low bun, some front pieces out, framing her face, and put a little bit of mascara on her eyelashes.

Nova stood in front of the mirror as Nuala and Cerridwen left to tend to Feyre, and Rhys came in.

"Sorry they came in so early, they had 2 clients today," Rhys said, coming to stand behind Nova in the mirror.

"No worries, I was already up," Nova said, meeting Rhys' eyes in the mirror.

He noticed the shadows in her eyes, "You gonna be ready for this?"

"I don't have any other option, do I?" Nova said blankly, standing up straighter.

Rhys sighed, "No."

"What am I allowed to do when he brings it up?" Nova asked, willing her voice to remain steady.

Rhys hesitated, choosing his words carefully, "It's best to not make a scene, it'll be what he wants. But you know your strength, do what you feel is necessary."

When she didn't respond, he continued, "He wants to see your weaknesses. He knows that what he did to you is going to affect you for a long time. He's going to do what he can to get under your skin."

Nova nodded, not letting her emotions get the best of her. She was good at hiding them, her eyes being the one giveaway. Only the people she was close to were able to see it in her eyes and analyze the emotions she felt from there.

"Whatever happens, I want you to know that we have your back," Rhys said, using his mind to reach out to her, reaching a shield of grey steel. He put a hand on her shoulder before deciding to let her be to finish preparing, he turned to the door and started walking, "We are all meeting downstairs in a half-hour."

Once he left, Nova pulled herself together and repeatedly went over the words Rhys had said to her, not letting herself overthink the next few hours.

She checked and rechecked the dagger she had strapped to her thigh, making sure it was secure and easily accessible, though she prayed that it wouldn't be used.

The half-hour had gone by quickly, and Nova found herself at the top of the stairs, breathing through her last moments alone before descending.

Downstairs, everyone else had arrived, and Nova found herself surveying the small crowd that remained in front of her.

The Illyrians, two dressed in black leathers, siphons gleaming. The High Lord had gone for a more formal suit, but kept his wings out, something he wouldn't traditionally have done before the war.

The three Archeron sisters, dressed in blue and black dresses, each one stunning in their own ways. They all had blank, serene facial expressions as if they were unsure what to expect.

Mor and Amren, also following the color scheme, the former looking devastatingly beautiful and the latter utterly terrifying, as always.

Nova stepped into the living room, and heads turned her way. She hated the sorrow that was showing in everyone's eyes. They all felt bad for her. Putting her in this position, facing the one person she never wanted to see again.

After a moment of silence, Rhys was the first one to speak, "Everyone ready?"

No one else spoke, some people nodded, some just waited.