Chapter 19

Nova just slowly nodded and offered him a genuine smile. Her hands dropped to her lap, their only remaining contact being Azriel's hand on her back and her leg against his, of which she made no immediate effort to move.

She glanced over to the doorway behind the couch they still sat on, "They'll be back soon."

It was a statement, one that they both had been dreading since everyone else left. Nova looked back at him, though neither of them moved.

"I don't want to leave," Azriel said, knowing this night will be the only thing he will want to think about for the next few days.

"I know," Nova held their eye contact for a few moments before turning and putting both feet flat on the ground, Azriel removing his hand from her back.

His hand was gone and all Nova wanted was to sink back into that couch and entwine her body with his, letting his shadows consume them, staying there forever.

She glimpsed back at him before standing up, "But, you need to rest before your day tomorrow."

The others had been gone for a while and she had gotten so distracted with Azriel that there was no telling what time it was.

All his shadows had returned to surround him, except one that just continued to circle her pointer finger, as if resembling a ring.

The lone shadow caught Azriel's attention, his shadows had never really strayed like that. Nova looked down and then lifted her hand, the shadow not parting from her finger.

"Looks like that one's gonna be stuck with you for a little while," Azriel laughed, an unrestrained, wholesome sound.

She flipped her hand around twice, the sliver of a shadow still rotating around her finger.

"I don't mind," she paused and looked to his silhouette of shadows, "this won't interfere with your work, right?"

Azriel laid back into the couch, lifting his arms to rest along the back of it, "I'm sure I won't even notice it's missing. I mean, I've never had my shadow's claim someone, so I had no idea this was possible, but I assume I'll just have tabs on your whereabouts for the near future."

She dropped her hand back to her side and turned to walk around the couch, heading for the doorway that leads to the stairs.

Azriel stood and turned as she started walking, not wanting her out of his sight just yet.

His eyes followed her as she walked to the doorway and turned back around, "Goodnight, shadowsinger."

"Goodnight, Nova," Azriel replied, seeing her eyes brighten at his voice saying her name.

She gently smiled and held eye contact for a few more moments, "Please be careful tomorrow."

"Of course," Azriel said with absolute sincerity.

She knew that he wouldn't lie to her, at least not about this. So, she looked down at her hand just to confirm the shadow remained by her finger, before glancing back up to him, softening her gaze.

Nova sent a surge of fortitude down their bond as she removed her eyes from his and turned, walking into the hallway. Then there was ambition, the feeling he sent back to her as she started up the stairs.

She got up to her room, not caring to be quiet with the door like usual, the only person within earshot would be more than happy to get confirmation of her safe arrival, despite him being just downstairs.

As she drew a bath, she sat on the edge of the bed and observed the shadow circling her finger. No matter how she moved her hand, it stayed right at the base of her left pointer finger. She knew his shadows were for hearing and feeling things that others could not, so one attached to her would most likely just be a direct connection to her surroundings and feelings.