10.

'Kaitlyn.'

Kaitlyn moaned as someone rubbed at her shoulder. She felt so comfortable; she didn't want to wake up.

'Kaitlyn.'

She opened her eyes at the unexpected firmness in Zeke's voice. She looked up at him. He looked grim but the hand on her forehead was warm and gentle. He'd kept it there since the beginning of the drive.

'You must get up.'

'Are we safe?'

'We're safe.'

Slowly, she sat up. She blinked away the heaviness in her eyes. Despite driving for hours, she was still tired, only catching brief snatches of sleep.

They had stopped and it was dark through the car windows. It was quiet. She could hear crickets and frogs. No traffic. No barking dogs. No loud televisions. Wherever she was, she was far away from home.

Zeke helped her out of the car, then helped to hold her up as she hobbled towards what looked like an abandoned building—another church. The crucifix at the top of the door gleamed against the moonlight. Her body was aching. She felt dizzy and sick. The grazes on her cheeks, knees and hands stung. She felt so haggard. It had been ages since she'd eaten Father Alex's breakfast but her hunger was nothing against the fire in her throat. Her lips were cracked and she tasted blood when she tried to lick them with her dry tongue.

'Water,' she said.

'We'll get you some water. But first you must get inside. You'll be safe there.'

'A church again.'

'It's hallowed ground. We are invisible to the Fallen here. At least, for a time.'

He had her sit in one of the pews. It was a cool night and the stark stone walls weren't helping with the goose bumps erupting all up her legs. The place was definitely abandoned. The windows didn't have glass and there were gaps in the roof. There was no lighting and probably no electricity. She held herself.

Zeke noticed her discomfort. Sitting next to her, he pulled her close, wrapping his arm around her shoulders to keep her warm. 'I'm sorry,' he said. 'Jacob and the others will arrive soon with some supplies.'

'Are they okay?' she said guiltily, thinking of the dazzling figures she'd glimpsed through the window. Had that really been them?

'They're fine. They're powerful. It takes a lot to harm us.'

She wiped at her nose. 'I'm sorry for leaving. That was stupid.'

'It was stupid,' came a voice. Kaitlyn turned. It was the driver, the angel with the tanned skin and brown hair. He was leaning against the wall, arms crossed and frowning.

'Samuel,' Zeke warned him.

'They almost took you,' he continued, ignoring Zeke. 'If we hadn't arrived in time you would now been in Satan's clutches and The Reckoning would be upon us and all that you know and love would be consumed by hellfire.' His voice echoed around the nave. His aura of light meant she could see his glaring, yellow eyes even from across the aisle.

Feeling strangely angry herself, she glared back at him, her hands fisted on her knees. 'I was scared. I was in shock. I didn't know what to do. What else can I say?'

'What gave you cause to think that we weren't trustworthy? How much proof does a human need in order to believe?'

Kaitlyn lifted her chin. '"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ".'