10.

The abbess stood waiting behind her desk as Jacob stepped through the doorway. She was gazing through a small, darkened window, her hands folded in front of her. She was tall and rigid and wore the traditional habit. The room was only small, mostly bare and dimly lit. Books lined several shelves on the opposite wall. Her desk was large but simple with an accompanying small and simple chair. Two chairs for visitors sat in front of it.

Jacob's eyes briefly locked onto a painting depicting an angel guiding a girl safely across a dangerous bridge. 'Mother Abbess,' he said.

The abbess took a breath, then turned with a polite smile. Jacob pulled off his hood, and her lips trembled at the sight of his bright face. 'Welcome to our abbey.' She gestured at one of the chairs. 'You must be tired. Please, take a seat.'

'Angels don't get tired but thank you.'

Her smile continued to tremble but she held it bravely as he sat. She was an older woman with lines around her eyes and mouth—kindly lines, Jacob could tell. Though her smile was strained, it was not out of anger or frustration. Not even fear. It was simple—she was worried. Worried for her nuns. Worried for Jacob and the other angels. Worried for the Earth. All worthy concerns of a strong woman who was able to take surprises in her stride.

She was stronger than Father Alexander. Purer than Father Bartholomew. They'd made a good choice on the abbey.

'I am sorry for the sudden intrusion but it had to be done,' he said.

'I know I should not ask questions. I know I should trust you, to trust God ...' She gripped the back of the chair. Like her lips, her hands were trembling.

'I'd rather not tell you why we're here.'

'Is there danger?'

'Not if our presence remains secret.'

The abbess looked down at her desk. 'I hear whispers. Even out here, I hear whispers of a girl in trouble. In so much trouble she has drawn the eyes of The Beast himself.' Her face turned pale as she raised her eyes to his.

Jacob bowed his head.

She sucked in a breath. 'Will he come here?'

'No. You have God on your side. There is no greater protector.'

The abbess tightened her mouth. 'I admit we are not ready for such a task.'

'There is nothing you need do except provide her comforts and keep her secret safe.'

'I trust my nuns. Their hearts are pure.'

Jacob nodded. 'I believe so too.'

'How long do you plan to stay?'

'As long as we are able before the shadows start to creep. Have no fear, abbess,' Jacob said quickly at the flash of fear in her eyes. 'We will be long gone before any harm comes to your abbey.'

The abbess looked towards the same painting Jacob had glanced at. 'I consider myself a devout woman. But this ...' She took a breath. 'This is much ... more than I ever thought possible. Your presence here has exposed the true depth of my doubts. I must beg your forgiveness. As I must beg God's forgiveness.'

'There is no sin in questioning the truth.'

'I should have believed the moment your companions stepped up to my door, A-Angel.'

'Call me Jacob.'

She shook her head. Her eyes shone as they filled with tears. Clasping her hands together, she bowed her head. Jacob stood. The old abbess jerked her head up as he laid his hand upon her shoulder. Her eyes were wide.