6.

Kaitlyn sat up with a cry.

Except for the warm glow pouring in through the frosted window, it was dark. She scrambled to her feet. She'd been lying on the cold floor of her cell. Her body was stiff, sluggish and sore and she was covered in goose bumps. Her neck ached.

She twisted around, touching herself. Her clothes were intact. Though she could still feel him: his mouth, his fingers, his nails. His triumphant laughter rang in her ears. Kaitlyn staggered over to the camera, waving her arms. A green light was blinking. 'Let me out! He's coming! He's coming after me! Let me OUT!'

Next, she raced over to the door, banging her fists against it until she hurt her hands. She pulled and yanked at the handle. Then she ran over to the window. Could she break the glass? She looked briefly around the room. She hurried over to the chair but it was nailed down like everything else.

Dropping her eyes to the floor she quickly slid off one of her joggers. She tried pounding it against the glass but the glass was so strong that the window didn't even jump in its frame.

With a gasp, Kaitlyn covered her eyes when the lights suddenly flicked on. She turned at the sound of the door opening, her arm raised against the glare.

A police officer marched in. Her heart dropped into her stomach. He was holding a gun. No. A tazer. 'Turn around! Hands up against the wall!'

Three more officers followed him inside.

'You've got to listen to me!' she cried. 'He's coming! They're all coming. He's going to take me. And when he does you're all going to burn!'

'Who? Who's going to take you?' a female officer asked.

'The Dark One!' Why couldn't she say his name? Satan. Satan. It still sounded foolish in her ears. Lucifer. Had she really spoken his name? Why had he let her go?

'What's she talking about?' one of them said.

'Nothing. She's just another nutter.'

'I'm not crazy!' Kaitlyn took a deep breath as she tried to control a sharp swell of anger. She suddenly realised why Samuel was so annoyed by humans. After all that had happened, how could they still not see? How could they not believe?

'You have to let me out!'

'Drop the shoe. Hands against the wall!'

'No!'

The officer with the tazer glared at her. 'I'll keep her in my sights.'

The female officer raised her hands, palms outward. 'You can't go about throwing yourself around the room like this. You're causing damage and you're going to hurt yourself.'

'I'm not throwing myself around the room. I need you to get me out. He's coming!'

The female officer continued to approach. The other two followed. The man with the tazer watched Kaitlyn closely, his weapon pointed at her chest.

Kaitlyn tried to back away only to bump into the chair. There was nowhere to go. 'Stop it. What are you trying to do?'

'Trying to help you.' The woman paused, then pounced.

With a shriek, Kaitlyn tried to dodge her—unsuccessfully. The woman was big and had her pinned up against the wall before Kaitlyn understood what was happening. The male officers helped wrestle Kaitlyn onto the bed, shouting for her to "be calm!". Kaitlyn's screams were muffled into the mattress. It was hard to breathe. There was too much pain. They were on top of her and were so heavy!

'Get off!' she gasped. 'He's coming. And you're all going to die!'

She laughed manically, then started to cry as they yanked her arms back and slapped cuffs around her wrists. 'You don't know what you're doing!'