14.

'So how is my dark servant?' Satan's voice suddenly echoed.

Kaitlyn turned and lifted her chin. 'Better without you.'

He laughed. He was sitting in his lizard-skin chair before the fire. It was turned around to face her. He was naked, his legs crossed, gripping the arms with his powerful hands. The torches were lit and they flashed against the skin of his chair—and against his eyes and his flawless body. 'You've always been a terrible liar. Is he a better lover than me?'

Kaitlyn didn't answer.

He smirked. 'Did you give him my message?'

'Yes.'

'Good girl. What did he say?'

'He said it was never going to happen,' she lied.

Satan twisted his mouth as he gripped the arms of his chair more tightly. 'We'll see.'

Relaxing his mouth into a smile, he stood. His erection bobbed between his muscular thighs, pointing at her like a blushing log. 'So, you're not lovers. You'd better stay that way. You're for me and me alone.' He looked down at himself as he smoothed his hand over his erection. 'Know that I'll always be loyal to you, Kaitlyn. There would never be another woman for me.' He laughed. 'That's for sure.' His smile fell back into a frown as his eyes bored into hers. 'And I hope you can give me the same loyalty. Can I trust you, Kaitlyn? Can I trust you to save yourself for me?'

'I'm not a virgin,' she said. 'I haven't been a virgin for many years.'

'I know that—of course,' he snapped. 'I've entered you enough—even if it is just in dreams.'

Kaitlyn winced.

His voice softened. 'But I don't mind. As long as you remain faithful to me from now until beyond.'

'Why does it matter?' Kaitlyn asked. 'When all you need is my womb.'

'Is that what you think, Kaitlyn?' His forehead creased. He almost looked hurt. Almost. Kaitlyn thought of Jacob's lips as Satan's perfect mouth spoke its lies. 'Haven't you realised now that you mean much more to me than that? I want you. I need you. I-I love you.' He pressed a hand to his chest. 'With all my heart. It hurts to think that you don't feel the same way about me. Is that true, Kaitlyn? Don't you love me? After all our nights together?'

'No.'

'"No" that it's not the truth, or "no" you don't love me?'

'I-I don't love you.'

He cocked his beautiful head in that heartbreaking way. Kaitlyn lowered her eyes. He chuckled. 'Like I said, you're a terrible liar.' He walked towards her. He stood before her, close enough that he made Kaitlyn tingle all over. He lowered his voice to a whisper. 'If you dislike me so much, all you need to do is ask me to leave you alone.'

He touched her face and Kaitlyn raised her eyes. She swallowed and licked her lips. 'I want you to ...' He started stroking her cheek. 'I want you to ...' He brushed his thumb across her bottom lip. 'I ...' Wrapping his arms around her waist he pulled her close. The request died on her lips.

Then his lips met hers and Kaitlyn kissed back. It was nice. His arms were so strong, so hard. She felt the heat of him soaking into her bones. His kiss was soft and gentle, just the way she liked it. But she'd had better. She'd had real. Jacob's lips seemed to melt against hers in a way that Satan's couldn't. She could feel the love. She could feel the truth of Jacob's words. In all his deceit, Satan could never match that.

Kaitlyn jerked back her head. Satan frowned. He leaned in to kiss her again, only for Kaitlyn to jerk away again. She tried to pull out of his embrace but he held her tightly. His eyes narrowed as she wiped her mouth.