ch. 31 ♩his last stab.

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE:his last stab

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE:
his last stab.

"So, as it turns out," Connie said, folding another baby blanket and putting it in the pile of laundry he'd already done, "she cheated on me. The baby isn't mine."

Your face fell, your heart dropping as you watched his lean figure fold clothes for a child that wasn't his. "Oh, Connie, I'm so sorry." You pursed your lips as you tried to form the words you wanted to say. You didn't want to bash Sasha, because she was your friend too, but you felt that you needed to comfort him. You quite honestly had no idea what he wanted to hear - if he even needed to hear anything.

He grimaced, nodding slightly as he glanced at you through his laptop. "We're staying together, though."

You raised your brows in surprise, slightly squinting at your computer screen. "Really? You think your relationship can survive that?"

"Yes."

"I'm happy that you can love the little one like your own, Connie. That's really amazing, honestly, even if she is Niccolo's."

"She's a baby, she didn't do anything wrong," Connie shrugged. "And yes, you are still the godmother. I know you're wondering that."

You stopped twiddling with the silky fabric of your dress and put your elbows on the desk, sighing slightly. "So... what's the story?"

"Sasha cheated on me when she and a few of her cooking buddies went out for drinks. Niccolo made a move on her and they kissed. One thing led to another, and they, um- well, you know. But Niccolo decided to be a goddamn coward and run away when Sasha told him that he was the father a few days ago-she told me about it this morning." Connie folded the small sky-blue onesie he was holding and put it in a pile. "He's moving back to Marley, and Sasha's feeling really guilty about it, but I don't want Olive to be raised as some sort of orphan, so I'm going to try to be the best dad to her that I possibly can."