7 | an interrupted walk

CHAPTER 7,

AN INTERRUPTED WALK

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

KEELA WALKS ALONGSIDE Bucky and Sam along a smooth concrete road with vast fields spread out either side of them, all filled with soil and ready for crops to start growing. The three adults have been walking for sometime now after ditching the fight once realising they really couldn't take the Flag Smashers on, choosing to figure a better plan before they can fix things.

"Sorry about Redwing." Bucky apologises, trying to sound sympathetic and friendly.

"No, you're not." Sam replies, knowing that the man truly doesn't care. "What's going on in that big cyborg brain of yours?"

Bucky glares at him. "It's computing."

"You know what? I can actually see the gears turning." Sam comments with a laugh. "Oh, they're malfunctioning, shutting down. Yep, they're on fire. Keela, how did you put up with him all those years ago?"

"Because the both of us were way different before everything happened. We didn't have any serum or superhero bullshit, just wars to fight and work to do." Keela truthfully tells him.

"I always forget how different time was for you guys." Sam says.

"Times were way better." Bucky mumbles.

The sentence wasn't meant to be heard by anyone, just something he accidentally blurted out and being fortunate enough that it was under his breath. However, Keela had somehow heard it and this causes her to look over where she locks eyes with Bucky, the two staring at one another for a moment. His sentence rings in her head, etched into her brain just like the rest of their memories together.

"We've got to figure out where the serum's coming from." Keela states, deciding to change the subject as she peels her eyes away from him.

"Yeah." Sam agrees as he nods. "How the hell in the hell after eighty years are there eight super-soldiers running loose?"

A car then pulls up beside the three as the horn is honked, instantly grabbing their attention with curiosity as the conversation is dropped so that no one can overhear them. To their dismay, it's only John Walker and Lemar Hoskins trying to make small talk with them as they pick up a ride from a member of the military.

"That didn't go as planned, huh?" John comments.

As he says this, he reaches forwards and open the back door as a welcome to enter the vehicle, as well as being a small kind gesture to show how polite he can be. The three don't even say a word in response, almost telepathically agreeing to ignore him as they continue walking forwards and past the car. So, the driver has to start moving forwards once again but at a much slower pace so that they're able to keep up.