27 | long-awaited conversation

CHAPTER 27,

LONG-AWAITED CONVERSATION

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

KEELA AND BUCKY both stand in the living room of the Wilson household as a silence rings loudly in the air. Outside, the darkness from the night sky has swallowed up their surroundings into nothing but shadows dancing along the walls in the natural moonlight shining down on the town. The two have just finished setting up the sofa bed and preparing it for them to sleep in tonight. However, neither of them have really taken much thought about it — at least not up until this very moment.

"Sit down." Bucky instructs. "I think now is the best time to have this conversation we've been avoiding."

And so they do this. The pair move forwards and take their seats down on the sofa bed located in front of them, Keela pulling the blanket over her legs to keep herself warm. They both make sure that their bodies facing one another since they're the only ones having this talk, wanting to be polite and show that they're listening.

"How come you never directly reached out to me through those months?" Bucky asks as he glances over at her. "And don't say you didn't care because we both know that's a lie. Sam would text me and mention how you would often ask."

"I did care, I still do." Keela says.

"That's not answering it." Bucky states.

"I know, I know." Keela replies, pausing. "I didn't want to because we're broken up, and I was afraid if we tried to rekindle what we used to have then I would add my burden onto yours. We were both going through so much shit already and I didn't want to force something so that we could pretend we're okay when we're not. So I made sure to ask Sam every so often and reasoned it by saying you never tried to reach other either."

"Because I was scared that you didn't want to have me back in your life, and I didn't want to ruin anything good you had going." Bucky tells her.

"I understand that now." Keela replies. "I believe that us not contacting each other during that time is the best thing that we could've done. It allowed us to focus on ourselves and receive the help needed."

"What about now?" Bucky questions.

"We've had nearly a year of downtime to recover and get a grasp on the new life we're facing today. I think us being around each other more recently has allowed us to be reunited as stronger people and has brought us closer again." Keela explains.

Bucky simply nods in response to show that he is able to understand to her point of view of the story. He's just unsure of how exactly to reply because he's never had to sit down and speak to someone like this before. And, like he said earlier, this whole time he had thought Keela had abandoned him entirely and was void from their memories back before the war. That depressing feeling that would take over his body at the fact he couldn't see her name flash across the screen of his phone had him feeling crazy. But he can understand why she did that now.

"I'm going to cut straight to the point here because it's been on my mind; why did you kiss me then walk away back there?" Keela asks.

"I was afraid." Bucky admits.

"Of what?" Keela questions.

"Because I wasn't ready to have this conversation we're having now." Bucky replies.

Keela only frowns to show her confusion towards the response given towards the question. It's purely based on the fact that she doesn't quite understand it just yet for he hasn't given a full picture like she did. He catches sight of this though and a heavy breath leaves his mouth, mind filling with different things to say and being ensure of how to explain it.

"I meant that I didn't think about it what would happen afterwards during that moment of time. All I knew is that I wanted to kiss you badly, and so I did it after asking for your consent." Bucky continues. "I just... I don't really know how to word it. I'm not good at this kind of stuff."

"It's okay. Take your time." Keela assures.

"I thought maybe it was just the heat of the moment, that you would regret the kiss and continue like nothing happened, like we're just friends." Bucky tells her.

"You thought that?" Keela questions.

"Yeah, I did." Bucky replies with a nod. "It's been so many years since we've seen each other, and we've never spoken about our personal lives since then. I wasn't sure if maybe you had found someone else and moved on."

Keela shakes her head. "I can't do that. I just don't think I would've ever moved on whether we came back into contact or not."

"Why not?" Bucky asks.

"Honestly? I don't like the idea of being with someone else when I know that I've never gotten over you." Keela replies. "This hasn't easy to hide my feelings while being around you 24/7 at this point. It was like a reminder that we're not together and what we used to have are only memories... Perhaps it's fate."

"Fate?" Bucky questions, titling his head slightly with curiosity to know the answer.

"Yeah. Fate." Keela replies with a smile. "Fate brought us together again."

"Do you still..." Bucky begins as he reaches out and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. "Do you still love me?"

"Do you even need to ask that?" Keela replies with a light laugh. "I never stopped loving you, Bucky. I'm just scared of losing more people."

"Then maybe we can fix this. Fix us." Bucky suggests, voice barely above a whisper. "I'm willing to try make this work again if you are, Kee. I won't ever leave you again."

Keela nods. "I'm okay with that."

Bucky smiles at the response of her agreeing to her back together. He reaches out and cups her cheek in his hand, the pad of his thumb brushing away a singular tear that had fallen from her glossy brown eyes. Her head tilts into his gentle hold with a warm feeling in her stomach, making him melt at the sight of her action.

Keela leans forwards and is the one to make the move this time, pressing her lips onto his soft ones. He doesn't take a single moment of hesitation to kiss her back and move his lips in sync with hers. Bucky's other hand shifts and rests upon her waist before sliding down to her thigh, grip tightening slightly. He then subconsciously shifts in his place to rest his back against the head of the sofa couch, bringing her own body on top of his where she sits in his lap with her legs either side of him.

The pair then break the kiss and stare down at one another, brown meeting blue once again. Bucky's arms move to wrap around Keela's waist while her arms sling loosely around his neck. Their faces are still dangerously close with their breaths fanning against one another's lips. Despite the position they are currently in, neither of them actually planned on going forwards with that.

"I feel like I have to say it because I haven't gotten to yet, but I love you." Bucky whispers, eyes glancing between each of her features. "And you're still the most beautiful girl I've ever laid eyes on."

Keela's cheeks begin to heat up at the sound of his confession, a red tint crossing over her skin as she blushes. She then proceeds to duck her head down and allow her forehead to makes contact with his shoulder, resting against him. Bucky only laughs at the sight of the brunettes embarrassment as he continues holding her close to his body.

"Come on, let's get some sleep." Bucky tells her.

The two shift their bodies to lay down in the sofa bed, pulling the warm blanket up over them both as pillows rest behind their heads. It makes a change from the plane and different buildings they'd stay at. This place already feels like a home to them because it's so welcoming and they're able to relax.