32 | a speech that needs to be heard

CHAPTER 32,

A SPEECH THAT NEEDS TO BE HEARD

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

KEELA AND SHARON had taken the longer route out of the building to avoid the gazes of other people, not wanting to be questioned about everything that's happened on national television. They appear out the back of the building where Keela allows the blonde woman to rest nearby, specifically stating that she should receive medical attention. A grip is then felt on her arm where the brunette spins around to find Bucky standing there. She instantly engulfs him in a warm hug as their arms wrap tightly around one another.

"You're okay." Bucky breathes out, relieved. "I thought maybe something happened."

"I'm here, I'm okay." Keela assures.

The two then pull apart slightly but remain side by side, Bucky arms snaked around Keela's waist to keep her close. They notice everyone else's attention is turned towards the night skies so they both follow the gazes. There, Sam can be seen flying through the air with Karli's body still held in his grip — almost appearing as an angel coming down from above.

He lands safely down onto the ground and places Karli down onto one of the medical stretchers. The paramedics wheel her away towards the ambulance in order to tend to her as fast as possible. News reporters waste zero time in pushing themselves forwards through and shoving their equipment into Sam's face, bombarding him with many questions that they want answering.

"Sam, thank you so much. From all of us." Ayla (a woman he saved moments before) tells him.

"Sincerely." Senator adds with an agreeing nod. "You did your part in dealing with those terrorists, now we'll do ours."

"Are you still going forward with resetting the borders?" Sam asks.

"Our peacekeeping troops will begin relocating people soon. The terrorists only set us back a bit."Lacont informs.

"You need to stop calling them terrorists." Sam states in disapproval.

Senator frowns. "What else would we call them?"

"Your peacekeeping troops carrying weapons are forcing millions of people in settlements around the world, right?" Sam questions, receiving a nod in response. "What do you think those people are going to call you? These labels, 'terrorists', 'refugee', 'thug', they're often used to get around the question, why?"