14 | the call that ruined an offer

CHAPTER 14,

THE CALL THAT RUINED AN OFFER

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

IN A PRIVATE room upstairs, multiple people can be seen working to keep the place clean or just generally standing nearby in a protective manner due to their duty as guard. Sitting on a snake skin couch, which is located in the middle of the room, is a woman that goes by the name of Selby. Her cold eyes watch as the four walk into the room, Zemo taking a seat in front of her while the others stand closely nearby.

"You should know, Baron. People don't just come into my bar and demands." Selby reminds.

"Not a demand, an offer." Zemo corrects.

"A lot has changed since you were here last." Selby informs, glancing over at the super-soldiers for a moment. "By the way, I thought you were rotting away in a German prison. How did you escape?"

"People like us always find a way, don't we?" Zemo replies. "I'm sure you've already figured out what I'm here for."

"You're taller than I've heard, Smiling Tiger." Selby says, purring as she meets his gaze. "What's the offer then?"

"Tell us what you know about the super-soldier serum." Zemo demands.

He pauses what he's said, rising to his feet before walking over to the Winter Soldiers standing nearby. The man circles around them carefully as he stretches out a gloved finger and runs it over their faces, showing how stern and controlled they are.

"And I give you them." Zemo continues. "Along with the code words to control them, of course. They will do anything you want."

"There's the Zemo I remember." Selby comments, smiling at the offer. "I'm glad I decided to not kill you immediately. But yeah, you were right to come to me for help."

"Go on." Zemo pushes.

"The super-soldier serum is here in Madripoor. Dr Wilfred Nagel is the man you want to thank... Or condemn, depending on what side of this you're on. The Power Broker had him working on the serum, but things didn't go as planned." Selby explains.

"Is Nagel still in Madripoor?" Zemo asks.

"Oh, you must be mistaken." Selby says, now sitting up straighter than before. "The bread crumbs you can have for free, but the bakery is going to have to cost you, Baron. And don't think you can find Nagel without me."