34 | happy ending

CHAPTER 34,

HAPPY ENDING

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

THE COUPLE MAKE their way into their friends hometown just in time to see everyone else arriving with food to share with others. The couple walk along the docks as the sea water crashes calmly against the wood and dampens it. Keela has a fresh cake that they made together held carefully in her hands as Bucky's arm reminds wrapped around her waist, gently guiding her through the crowd. It came as a surprise to the both of them when no food fight was made when baking the cake, remaining focused to ensure that it's delicious enough to consume.

Music can be heard playing through the speakers that have been set up throughout the small area they hang around the docks in. Some can be seen dancing along to the beat of the song, while others remain seated at a table with a plate of food in front of them.  Although, despite the different actions, every single person attending has a wide smile etched onto their faces as they have the time of their lives with the loved ones they're surrounded by.

The two sons of Sarah Wilson come racing forwards at the sight of their favourite super-soldiers. AJ throws fakes punches straight Bucky while Cass attempts to tackle him in the legs — both are weary of Keela and the cake. Bucky removes his arm from around his girlfriend and pretends to dodge each of the hits as he follows along with their playful mood. Grins spread across both of their faces as they notice that he's willing to take time out of his day once again to join them.

Keela's heart only warms at the sight of the young boys appearing so happy to be around them both, rather than frightened like someone people would usually be. Seeing Bucky interact with the children so happily and giving him that small moment away from the painful reality of his past also makes Keela smile. In this moment, she can only wonder what their future would be like with mini versions of them running around a house they can call their own.

"I'm sorry about the boys." Sarah apologises. "They get excited when someone plays along with them."

"It's okay." Keela assures as she gently hands over the cake. "It's actually nice, so I don't mind. Bucky likes being around them too because his childish side tends to come out."

"You know, I'm really glad you managed to figure things out with him. I can tell he makes you really happy." Sarah tells her.

"He means everything to me." Keela admits.

The brunette glances over her shoulder to find that the three are no longer play fighting. Instead, Bucky has his metal arm stretched out horizontally as the two younger boys hold on tightly and just hang there. It's almost as if they're holding a competition of who can stay on his arm the longest. Bucky just watches them intently to avoid the possibly of one of them falling and harming themselves in the process.

"Why do my nephews like you more than me?" Sam jokingly complains as he walks over to Bucky.

"Guess I'm just more likeable." Bucky comments with a grin. "I mean, an ex-assassin with a metal arm compared to a bird? Come on."

"Captain America!" Cass excitedly shouts, carefully dropping down and engulfing his uncle in a hug.

Sam laughs. "Yeah, that's me."

Bucky gasps. "You've betrayed me, Cass!"

"Team Winter Soldier!" AJ exclaims as he climbs onto the mans back for a piggyback ride. "Or White Wolf. Whichever you prefer."

"Do you need help with the food or anything?" Keela asks, turning her attention back to Sarah as she offers help so that she's being useful.

"No, it's okay." Sarah replies. "Everything's already set up. You just go and enjoy yourself.

Keela nods in response before watching Sarah walk away and continue setting the food upon the long tables nearby. Multiple other people can be seen beside the woman as they too help ensure everything is neat and easily accessible. The brunette, who has now been left standing alone, takes this opportunity to go around and make conversation with the other people in this town by ignoring her anxiety and pushing herself out of a comfort zone. Everyone is so nice already so it should be easier on Keela.

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

The sun can be seen setting over the horizon, casting a beautiful range of warm tones filling the sky that will slowly fade into darkness as the moon comes out. The sea water can be seen glistening in the reflection of the natural light as the waves gently crash against the docks. Seagulls can be seen flying over everyone's heads as they make their way back to the places they would call home, faint squawks leaving their mouth.

Upon the very boat that the Wilson's fixed several days ago, Keela Blake can be found sitting down with a fluffy blanket draped over her legs to provide warmth under the chilly breeze of the wind. Bucky is right by her side with an arm wrapped around her smaller frame as she leans into his side and snuggles him. The pair are watching the beautiful view in front of them with a peacefully silence settled in the air, finding comfort in one another.

Bucky glances down at his girlfriend to see that her eyes are trained straight ahead while her fingers subconsciously twist the ring around. This has always been a habit of hers whenever she's worn jewellery, something he has always been able to pick up on and judge how she's feeling in that moment. The brunet only reaches his free hand forwards and wraps it around hers, intertwining them together before giving it a soft squeeze.

"Buck?" Keela whispers, receiving a small hum in response. "I am utterly in love with you."

"As I am for you, Kee." Bucky whispers back as he presses a gentle kiss to her forehead.

The faint sound of footsteps can then be heard entering the boat before a presence is felt on the other side of the couple. She glances over slightly to see that it's just Sam joining them, taking a seat down where they are located. His eyes drift over to the view that they were looking at.

"You know, I heard you both." Sam quietly informs as he holds back a grin. "Such a sappy hundred year old couple."

"Shut the hell up." Keela replies, playfully shoving him as they all laugh.

Another smile then proceeds to spread across Keela's face as realisation hits her; she's surrounded by her favourite people in the entire world. And they've found peace at last.

The Winter Soldiers went through decades of love for one another. They deserve to have this happy ending that they've fought so desperately for, not wanting to face anymore trauma and pain again.

This is Keela Blake's happy place, with Bucky and Sam. This is the happy ending that she has always deserved to have. No more see you later's.

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

T H E
E N D