Delay

Abigail sat in the Bridgerton family drawing room, talking with Eloise about the book she had lent her. Hyacinth and Gregory sat playing a card game across from them, and Anthony sat at the table and chairs reading his paper and discussing it with Colin. 

They all were, of course, waiting for Daphne and Lady Bridgerton to return from their afternoon soirée at court. 

Last night, Daphne had explained everything to Abigail. The Duke's abrupt end to their deal, and then her plan to now court the Prince. Abby could see her friend was in pain and guessed she had some very real feelings for the Duke, despite what she insisted, but she decided to let her find this out for herself. For now, she would simply support her friend and help her find an advantageous match. So, last night she watched her openly flirt and dance with the Prince. She also watched the Duke leave the ballroom, obviously hurt, but she had a feeling this might have been Daphne's intention.

Now, she waited for Daphne to return, per her request. Hyacinth seemed to be bouncing on the floor with anticipation for her sister's arrival. However, she was the only one apparently who displayed their excitement. For everyone else seemed to be going about with their business as usual. 

"Is Daphne coming back soon?" Hyacinth asked for what appeared to be the thousandth time. 

Abigail heard Eloise groan next to her. Knowing she was about to snap, she decided to intervene. 

"Soon." Abby assured. "Time will go by faster if you think of something else until then." 

"But how do I do that?" Hyacinth whined. 

At this, Abigail blushed, for she hadn't seemed to have any trouble passing the time. She and Anthony had been exchanging glances across the room for almost the past hour. Sure, she was talking to Eloise but she could practically feel him watching her. Anytime she looked up, his eyes were already on her. 

Realizing she hadn't responded the question she shook herself from her thoughts, and was about to reply when Gregory tapped Hyacinth on the shoulder yelling, "Tag! You're it!" And he ran off with her in toe. 

"Ugh, there are times when I want to shut her in a closet." Eloise said and turned her attention back to the conversation they were having. 

However, yet again, Abigail had trouble focusing for she could feel him watching her. When she looked up he was smirking, then turned his attention back to his newspaper.

"...anyway, what have you been reading lately, Abby?" Eloise finished her sentence, the first half of which Abigail didn't catch at all. 

She turned her head and gave a quick answer, "Hm? Oh, um Sense and Sensibility was a recent one. If you'll excuse me, I must powder my nose." She made the excuse and quickly stood up, locking eyes with Anthony before she left the room. 

She made her way down the hallway and veered the opposite direction of the powder room, instead, making her way to the study. Walking in she decided to wait, and see if he figured out her signal. She wandered about the room and her eyes caught on the portrait of Lord Bridgerton, Anthony's father, above the mantel. She was just noticing the likeness between him and his sons when she felt her arm being tugged and she was quickly spun around. 

In practically no time Anthony's lips were on hers and she smiled into it as she wrapped her arms over his shoulders. His found her waist and it felt so nice and automatic. 

She tried to pull away, but he didn't seem to want to let her as he pulled on her back and kissed her harder. She chuckled as she experienced what she could only assume was pure bliss. 

She tried pulling back slightly again and was more successful this time as she got a couple of words in. 

"So I've been thinking." She started. 

"Mhm." He acknowledged, reconnecting their lips. 

She smiled and this time actually pulled back, placing her hands on his chest so as to keep him there. 

"I think we should wait a bit longer, to announce everything." She said. 

His brow furrowed.

"Don't misunderstand me, this sneaking around is great fun," He smiled and placed a kiss on her neck. "But it is a miracle we haven't been caught already." 

"Listen," She sighed. "Your mother is very preoccupied with Daphne right now. And Daphne, has just had her heart broken, no matter how much she doesn't want to admit it." 

"This is all very well, but I would like to kiss you in public one day. Do try to work that into your overly empathetic brain, please." He said in what she knew was seriousness whether he masked it with sarcasm or not. 

Nevertheless, she laughed and threw her head back slightly. He took the opportunity to swoop in and begin kissing her neck. Soon, her breathing turned heavy and she pulled his face up to meet hers. He responded with enthusiasm and she knew it was going to be very hard to stop if they went any further. 

Luckily, the excuse came quickly as they heard the front door open and Hyacinth's voice began to pester Daphne with questions. Finally, Abby pulled away from the kiss and swiftly backed away to exit the room. She heard him groan and she turned around to wink at him before exiting the room. 

She ran slightly to catch up with Daphne at her bedroom door. There, Hyacinth stood, asking question after question as Daphne attempted to shut the door. 

"Hyacinth, your governess was calling for you." She called and distracted her. 

The youngest Bridgerton ran off and Abigail took in Daphne's appearance. She was now wearing the largest diamond necklace Abby had ever seen, but she also appeared to be hyperventilating.
Abby quickly pushed her into the bedroom and just managed to catch her as Daphne nearly collapsed against the wall. 

This was about to get very complicated.