Threat

One may say modesty is a virtue, yet this author is hardly a virtuous woman. It is therefore my great pleasure to announce the news others questioned, but I never doubted. The diamond of the season has made her match, officially betrothed to the duke of Hastings.

The bride, undoubtedly, is giddy with anticipation over the impending nuptials... an event that will apparently take place sooner rather than later. Of course, there are only two reasons to procure a special license and race to the alter: true love, or concealing a scandal.

"How does it feel Sister, to be in love?" Hyacinth asked as she bounced down the stairs with the rest of the Bridgerton women, Abigail included. 

"Imagine leaping off the cliff and shattering on the ground. A fair analogy?" Eloise responded for Daphne.

"I am afraid I cannot find the words dear Hyacinth." Daphne said with an air of inattention in her voice. "Though, Eloise, I do believe you will know what love feels like soon enough next season." 

"You think I am to follow in your footsteps, Sister? Could there be a more dreadful fate?" Eloise clapped back. 

"El." Abigail warned as the younger Bridgerton passed by her. 

"You do know that I am setting the standard or your future matches, Yes? You should be grateful." Daphne snapped with some misdirected anger. 

"The only thing I am grateful for is that I am not you, nor will I ever be." Eloise responded with just as much resentment in her tone. 

"Alright, you two. Take a step back-- please." Abigail encouraged, and with that Eloise walked away. 

"I should be off." Abby announced gathering the gloves that were laid out for her on the table as well as her coin purse. "Thank you for allowing me to stay the night, Violet." She thanked the woman with a small curtsy and wiggled her gloves on. 

"Oh, darling, if you are free after tea time we'd love to see you at the Modiste. Daphne has to be fitted for her trousseau, and I'd love to order you another gown while we are there." 

"Oh... Lady Bridgerton, that's very kind, but not necessary." She attempted to decline. 

"For the thousandth time it's Violet, and I don't want to hear a word about that. I am buying you another gown and that's final." She said with an air of motherly command about her voice.

Abigail smiled to herself as a maid helped her into her tailored coat. 

"Yes ma'am." She said softly, still reveling in the warm, safe feeling those words just brought her. 

"Abby!" Daphne said as Abigail was trying to turn around. 

She ran over to her friend and gave her a tight hug. 

She whispered in her ear, "Thank you for everything this morning."

She then pulled back and squeezed her hand before being called away by a footman announcing a visit from the Prince. Leaving before she could become involved with that, Abigail finally turned around and made her way to the doorway. 

Before she could get there, however, the doors opened and Anthony stepped through. He tried to catch her eye but she simply ducked her head down and refused to meet his gaze as she passed him out the doorway. His body turned to watch her go, and he felt a sense of longing. He knew something had changed between them, but he couldn't know the problem if she refused to even look at him. 

——

"Your wedding gown is a long way from being finished Miss Bridgerton. I promise you will not be disappointed." Madame Delacroix assured her as she pinned the bottom of Daphne's Wedding dress.